*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638857
Rated: E · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1535433
Smoke is an elusive thief that no one has been able to catch.
#638857 added March 4, 2009 at 8:26pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two:
December 13, 2007
San Francisco, California
8:04 AM


'Unbelieveable!' Brian Shields thought as he read the morning's paper.

SMOKE STRIKES AGAIN! SAPPHIRE GONE!

Shields could feel the frustration build up in him as he read the article. He'd personally seen the security surrounding the sapphire and it had seemed extreme even considering what was being guarded. How had Smoke managed to pull off such an impossible job? The biometric system that Thomas Reams had used was unhackable. At least that's what Reams had said. Wondering Brian picked up the phone and dialed a number.

"Hello?" a low voice asked on the other end of the line. Marcus Gunn was the best computer guy employed through the FBI. He knew everything about computers and could hack into almost every system. Sometimes it was nice having a computer genius around.

"Marcus, I need to ask you a question." Brian asked urgently.

"Okay..."

"Are there any systems that cannot be hacked? Any at all?" Brian asked drumming his fingers on his desk. Paperwork littered the desk, leaving room for only the computer, the keyboard, and a notepad. Brian wasn't known for his organizational skills, in fact he was known for the exact opposite. He had a reputation of ruthlessness. He never closed a case until he was sure that the right person was caught. Even cases that went cold he kept checking up on, just in case something happened.

"Every system can be hacked. While we come up with computers and firewalls that are difficult to hack, people come up with ways to get past them. Why are you asking?" Marcus didn't ask many questions or use many words for that matter. He only said something if it needed to be said. Rarely was it very much.

"I'm sure you've heard of Smoke." Brian said.

"Yes."

"How long do you think it took for him to hack Reams' security system?" He closed his eyes wondering how bad the answer was going to be. If this guy was a master hacker and invisible then he wondered how long it would be before they caught the guy.

"Depends. If it was done manually then it could have taken a while. I don't believe he did it manually though." Marcus said quietly. Once again he didn't give any explanations.

"Why?" Brian asked.

"If he did it manually then it there would be a hole in the wall, there was no external or internal evidence of any forceful entry." Marcus was sounding distracted and slightly bored now.

"Did he have biometic access then?"

"I don't think so."

"Then how did he get into the room?" Brian was getting angry now. He liked answers, not vague descriptions of what could be an answer.

"He must have had some type of device that could do it for him. He would have made it himself becuase there's nothing like that on the market. Once he got past the system it would be really easy to get the sapphire and dissapear." Marcus sighed. "I'm thinking that he got through the security system in less then three minutes. The guards are required to pass the room every three minutes. that would explain why no one saw him."

Finally they were getting answers. Smoke was so good that he was named properly. Eight years ago when Smoke had first struck the media had deemed him 'Smokey'. Over the years it had been widdled down to just plain Smoke. The thing that got Brian was how he managed to do it without leaving any evidence. Never had there been an instance when a fiber, hair, footprint, fingerprint, or security slip occured. The guy was just too good. They needed to find him.

The only reason the FBI was interested in Smoke was becuase they believed that he would be a valuable asset to an investigation concerning gem smugglers. The FBI believed that Reams was somehow involved in it they just couldn't figure out how. The discovery was a little suspicious, but as usual while dealing with Reams, there was no evidence substantial enough to get a warrant.

There was one thing about the whole thing that didn't seem right. Why would he reveal the sapphire to the world if he was involved in smuggling them? Was it some odd way of throwing them off his track? Somehow it didnt' feel right. It made Brian wonder if Reams really was involved.

Hi cell phone began to ring as he sat there thinking. He set down the newspaper and answered it. "Shields," He said.

"Hey man, the SAC wats you in his office in a half an hour." It was his partner Matt Stewart. "You better book it too. He's not happy this morning. He got the newspaper and exloded." Matt sounded cheerful at the thought of Special Agent in Charge, Daniel Rich, exploding.

"Well he'll just have to wait if it's that important. I odn't know if I'll be able to get there in thirty minutes." Brian said.

"I'll see if I can do anything to help but I can't make any guarantees." Matt still sounded cheerful.

"Thanks I'll be there as soon as I can."

***

Forty-five minutes later Brian walked into Rich's office expecting fireworks. There weren't any. Instead Matt was sitting calmly in one of the chairs, a small smile on his face. Rich was sitting, semi calmly at his desk scowling at a piece of paper. A box sat on his desk, neatly wrapped. Brain wondered what was in the box and where it came from.

"Sit down Shields." Rich said gruffly. He put the card down and glared at both of them. "You are both the primary agents on the case involving Thomas Reams." Brian wondered why he was telling them somthing they already knew. "You have been ubable to locate this, 'Smoke' and that is pissing me off." His face grew red as some of his previous rage seeped through. Brian hoped that he wouldn't blow up. "However, I have some good news. This," Rich gestured to the box on his desk, "was delivered to me twenty minutes ago." Both men stared at him, knowing he was enjoying the suspence. "I'll read the letter to you boh adn see if you can guess wha's in the box." Of course both had a good idea already and hoped it would help in the ivestigation. "Mr. Daniel Rich, I have heard of your investigation concernign the smuggling of precious gems. Because I am adament about helping your cause and stopping the smugglers I have decidde to help you, free of charge...at least this time.

"I know you must wonder why I would want the smuggling to stop when you believe I am a part of it. I am not a member of the smuggling ring. I work alon. All the work I do is honorable. The things I steal have been stolen from their original owners, I am merely what you would call 'a middle man'. The pieces are all returned to their owners ad they are all happy with my work.

"You, agent, can use this sapphire in your investigation. It may work as a bait for your real smugglers. I do not know where it came from. I initiated the theft on my own. I will feed you all the information I have over time and as I get it. I will not, however, work directly with you. I work alone. Don't try adn find me, your search will be in vain. Good luck with your investigation. Smoke." Rich looked into the faces of two of his best agents.

"That was unexpected." Matt said astonished at the contents of the letter. Apparently this Smoke fellow knew more about the investigation then was comfortable.

"I want him found!" Rich cried frustrated.

"What do you want us to do? This guy leaves no trail, no evidence, and we have no idea where to even start to look!" This statement was put in by Brian who had been quiet the entire time.

"Set a trap for him. Ask someone if we can borrow some precious jewels and use them as bait. When he gets into the room whith them, arrest him. Simple as that." Rich said the words matter-of-factly.

The idea wasn't half bad and it had Brian thinking about how to instigate the plan. They would need the cooperation of a wealthy family. Marcus would be able to help them with security and they would need to keep it from the police. If even a whisper escaped to anyone less then trustworthy the plan would be void. And they would need a back up plan just in case...

© Copyright 2009 Pepper Reynolds (UN: stargirl22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pepper Reynolds has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638857