*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638861
Rated: E · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1535433
Smoke is an elusive thief that no one has been able to catch.
#638861 added March 4, 2009 at 8:30pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Five:
December 29, 2007
San Francisco, California


Brian's private cell phone rang startling him. He knew it must be important because only a select few people knew the number. "Shields," he said not caring to glance at the caller ID.

"Hello Agent Shields," a deep voice said from the other end of the line. Almost instantly he knew who he was talking to. Brian signaled ot one of the agents in the room to start tracking the call.

"Smoke," Brian said easily. He was surprised at how calm he sounded, considering he was talking to the very criminal that he was trying so desperately to capture. "That was quite a stunt you pulled at the mansion. I'm curious though, how'd you manage to get around the security check points we set up?" He was trying to sound only mildly curious, he had no clue how he was faring.

Deep laughter came from the other end of the line. "Haven't you ever heard the saying, 'a magician never reveals his secrets?'" Smoke asked the laughter prominent in his voice.

"Is that what you're claiming to be?" Brian asked curiously, "A magician?" It a new one. Something new every day, he thought.

"Smoke and mirrors are enough for me Agent Shields. I don't need all the hocus pocus." A sigh came on the other end of the line. "Agent you are getting me off track when I can help you with your investigation." Smoke almost sounded like his mother telling him to pick up his socks. "There is going to be a drop tonight at Pier Thirty. Some time around eleven thirty. Don't send any of your agens. Tip off the local police." Smoke said, his voice held only respect. There was no mocking to imply that he thought they were incompetent, although, he had every reason to believe they were.

"What city?" Brian asked.

"Agent Shields, you have a reputation as being one of the most ruthless and smartest FBI agents west of the Mississippi. I'm beginning to wonder if you are just really good at acting." Smoke said, his voice turning once again to the one similar to his mother's.

Brian was stunned. Not only because of what Smoke had said, but by what the other agents were saying. They had traced the call to Crete, then to Istambol, Paris, Hawaii, and now Hong Kong.

The call was untraceable.

"Okay, so San Francisco." Brian said after he'd recovered. "But why tip off the police? This is our case, we should make the arrests." Maybe if he kept him talking he could get something out of him.

"Ah, but you see, you are at an advantage. No one has caught wind of the fact ath the FBI are on the case. That means they aren't being as careful as they should. And," Smoke said matter-of-factly, "the men making the drop are only worthless minions. If the cops take them that means that you still have a clear path to the leaders.

"The key is timing. If you jump too quickly the deer will run away, if you jump too late, the deer will have sensed you and still run away. If you time it just right, you get that deer. We're talking about a big deer here, Agent Shields. You don't want to jump too quickly."

Brian thought about what Smoke said for a minute. Using the local police would help hid them for a while longer and they would get the information they needed to infiltrate the smuggling ring. Smoke ws smarter then anyone had originally thought. But then a question popped into his head, "If no one knows we're involved, how do you know that we are?" Brian asked aloud. A soft laugh came from the other end of the line.

"I have my ways, Agent Shields." Smoke said, his voice still full of laughter. "Don't mess this deal up, don't decide to be hot shots and take care of it yourselves." He said cautiously, no it was more like a threat.

"Someone's calling the SFPD as we speak," Brian said, his pride wounded a little. Did this thief think that they didn't trust him? Of course, they had every reason not to. Agent Howie Bechtold gave the tip to the police and hung up before they could ask too many questions.

"The SFPD are discussing and wondering if the tip is substantial enough," Smoke said casually as though eavesdropping was a normal everyday occurance. For all Brian knew, it was.

"This conversation isn't helping my faith in you," Brian said in a teasing tone-since when had he started teasing a criminal?-"You're planting bugs in police stations, that against the law you know."

Smoke laughed the same low and quiet laugh, "I'm not really worried about breaking any laws, Agent Shields. But to assure you I'll let you in on one of my secrets. I'm not planting bugs at all. That's not my style. I'm listening to this conversation all from the comfort of my chair here in the police station." Smoke said still keeping a casual tone. "No one's paying any notice to me. It's amazing how incompetent people can be. A professional thief, right under their noses and they don't even realize it."

Brian realized at that moment that this would be the opportune moment to 'jump after that deer'. He just had to keep Smoke on the line long enough for him to get tot he police station. "Yes, we government employees get a little lazy when we realize how small our pay checks are." He said writing down instructions to the other agents around him.

Smoke laughed again. "I have heard about the lousy pay in your job. This is why you become a mercenary, then, if you're good, you can charge whatever you want." The words only held a small amount of boasting.

"Smoke, I'm curious." Brian said as hse climbed into one of the SUV's. "What do you do when a client wants something stolen that they have no claim over?" Got to keep him talking, was Brian's motto for the next while.

"I don't do business with them. I send them a polite letter saying that I am unavailable to pull that job, I make up some excuse, like I'm too busy." Smoke replied easily. Brian felt as though he were talking to a casual aquaintance, not a criminal.

"How do people get in touch with you? If they need to use your services?" He asked in what he hoped was only a mildly curious tone.

"I have a P.O. box that people can send their requests to. It's not as simple as it sounds. I have to pay people to transfer the letters and then I have to get them without being seen. It's a big mess, but it's necessary." Smoke sounded slightly disinterested now.

Brian was trying to stay calm as they grew nearer to the police station. They were going to get him, he just knew they would. "Only someone of your brilliance could handle it." Brian said because he couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Now Shields, I know you think you can flatter me and make me forget myself, but rest assured I cannot be won over so easily." Smoke said, Brian could hear the smile in his voice.

Finally they were almost there! Brian was practically jumping out of his seat. "The police are going to check it out. Have a nice night Shields." Smoke said, his voice was unhurried; no signs of stress or nervousness. He wsa just done with the conversation. The dial tone reiterated that.

They pulled into the police station just as a middle aged woman was getting into her maroon Crown Victoria. Once inside the station they zeroed in on a man who was just putting his cell phone back in his pocket...

© Copyright 2009 Pepper Reynolds (UN: stargirl22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pepper Reynolds has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638861