*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640431-The-Basketball-Kid
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#640431 added March 14, 2009 at 6:41pm
Restrictions: None
The Basketball Kid
    The son of a retired U.S. Air Force pilot, Ben Brodhurst is spreading his own wings towards a career as a sports reporter.
    Brodhurst’s interest in sports goes back as long as he can remember and was considered the “go-to-guy” of sport statistics while in high school. “I have been reading the sports page all my life and always had the sport section tucked under my arm, Brodhurst said.  “Basketball is life.”
    Like a kid on Christmas morning, Brodhurst comes to life at the mention of basketball and it’s not long until you’re on the edge of the seat while he paints poetic about the sport. “Basketball is an escape from the day-to-day ritual of life,” Brodhurst said. “It brings people together in a positive way.”
    No one knows more about bringing people together better than Brodhurst. A 2007 graduate of St. Mary’s High School in Phoenix, Ariz., Brodhurst was presented with the school spirit award for his demonstration of leadership, pride and school spirit. The ability to show some school spirit may seem like a simple achievement but consider for a moment that only seniors are eligible for the 4-year award and you can get a feel for Brodhurst’s commitment to the sport.
    Brodhurst’s school spirit didn’t stop on graduation day. He continues to volunteer his time to his alma mater by helping fund scholarship programs while working with the St. Mary’s Nights’ boys’ basketball team. Brodhurst’s love of sports helped pave the way to his current position of team manager with the men’s basketball team at Phoenix College.

    Brodhurst is responsible for maintaining the team’s statistics, shooting video footage of the games and assisting the coach with the logistics of overseeing a winning team. “As student manager, Ben is a valuable member of the team,” said Phoenix College men’s basketball coach Matt Gordon. “He does a great job and is a dedicated team member.”
    Brodhurst and the Phoenix College Bears basketball team most recently captured the NJCAA Region 1 Championship in a nail-biting 65-63 victory over Chandler-Gilbert Community College that went down to the final buzzer. “Brodhurst’s Bears” will go on to test their ability when they face North Arkansas College in the District Final at Phoenix College.
    Brodhurst’s busy schedule doesn’t keep him from attending Phoenix College and working as a clerk at Koller True-Value hardware store in Phoenix, Ariz. “Ben is a great people-person and is always up,” said co-worker Jason. “It’s nice to have some fun while we work and Ben fits in nicely.”
    Brodhurst knows that he’ll have to do more than just fit in, and that hard work and consistency is the secret to success. Brodhurst credits his drive and determination to other NBA greats and all of the interesting people he has met along the way. A self proclaimed comic book lover, Brodhurst is fascinated with the Superman character and looks up to Michael Jordon for being the best at what he does and his positive role-model persona. Brodhurst hopes to combine the traits of his heroes, add a dash of wit, and become the “best sports reporter” ever.

    Born in New Mexico, Brodhurst moved to Phoenix at the age of 2 with his family when his father was transferred to Luke Air Force base in Glendale, Ariz. “I enjoyed seeing Phoenix grow into the fifth largest city in America,” Brodhurst said. “I work at what was once the county line, and that’s 16th Street and Bethany Home Road.”
    Brodhurst’s modest persona makes it hard for him to talk about himself, but mention the word basketball and he’ll talk all day long. The future sports reporter wants to bring back the neighborly approach of talking sports. “It should be like talking to the guy next door over the fence of your yard,” Brodhurst grins.
    Brodhurst has a natural ability to win your trust and is a subtle reminder of the by-gone days of good family values and Americana. Who wouldn’t want a neighbor like Ben Brodhurst?

© Copyright 2009 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640431-The-Basketball-Kid