*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/650216-Romila-Checks-Out-A-Contest
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #1560235
Prompt based story-line for a contest with alternate-day prompts over a fortnight.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#650216 added May 17, 2009 at 6:00am
Restrictions: None
Romila Checks Out A Contest
Romila blinked twice to check what was written on the billboard on the wall opposite her as she pushed her way through a horde of people like her, staring hard at the information displayed.

"Move aside, please," she said between gritted teeth as she nudged the man just in front of her to get a better look.

The man, easily over 120 kilos in weight, did not budge. He turned around and looked Romila straight into the eye, as if to challenge her. Romila stepped back involuntarily as the man had a foul mouth smell and the ugliest looking teeth she had ever seen in any person, alive or dead (... that was to account for the Egyptian mummy's teeth she had seen last month when the British Museum had come for a show to India with the mummy exhibit.) That mummy's teeth were definitely better than this thug's! she thought to herself.

She smiled nervously and indicated that she did not want to cause any trouble. "I just want to read that billboard," she almost whispered, and added hesitantly, "Sir".

"Ah, well ... so you want to read that, lady, do you?" retorted the foul-smeller and stepped aside.

"Thank you, sir," said Romila. She moved in to occupy the wide empty spot - the size of two people and peered once more at the display.

This is what it read:

The 15th Annual Cherry Consumption Contest.


The Lions Group of _______ is proud to announce that the above contest will be held on Sunday, the 15th of June 20__ at the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hall, Sector 25, between 10 A.M. and 5 P.M. Participants have to gather below the stairs of the Town Hall in the adjacent premises on the morning of the contest before 9 A.M. They will be told the details of the contest at that time.

The entrance fee is Rs. 100/= per participant. The minimum qualification for entering the contest is being able to eat at least 200 cherries within three minutes.

The first prize will be Rs. 50000/= for the first winner and Rs. 25000/= for the runner-up.

If you think you have it in you, call 9223213___ or write in to cherry_lions@googlemail.com


This will be right up my alley! Romila smiled to herself and began to walk briskly in the direction of her office. There was an additional bounce in her gait. She knew she could outeat anyone, and that was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
© Copyright 2009 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/650216-Romila-Checks-Out-A-Contest