*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/650850-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mythology · #1546673
A secret Society, Stonehenge, & a very special ceremony. Bk item for 14-7-1 Contest Rd. 2.
#650850 added May 19, 2019 at 12:47am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Chapter Two


As he headed south past Kew Gardens, intending to merge into the M3, Clive called to mind the wording on his invitation.  Not only would he be able to walk at the very centre of the henge, something the general public was not permitted to do, his group would have exclusive access for this special night.  He wondered if the Queen had ever had the opportunity to visit Stonehenge, as he was about to do.  He couldn't recall seeing her name on any of the supernatural- or folklore-based websites he frequented, and was sure her name would be prominently displayed on any site's visitor list.  Perhaps Princess Diana, back when she had only been Lady Spencer?  He would have to check, when he got back home.

Upon entering the motorway, he was forced to fully concentrate on the heavy, pre-holiday traffic flow.  It seemed all of London had decided on the M3 as their route of choice to grandparents, parents or children, and that this very moment was just the time to head there.  About ten miles outside the city, though, things settled down and he was able to relax a bit and enjoy the rare, snowy landscape on either side of the roadway.  Eventually, his thoughts turned to the last game of chess he'd played on his computer.  He had been holding his own, until a cleverly disguised knight fork had cost him a bishop and, ultimately, the game.  An accountant by trade, Clive loved the mathematical precision of the game and, for the additional challenge, occasionally played two games simultaneously.

A highway sign announced the approaching Salisbury exit, and Clive reviewed the details of his planned route.  As he visualized the northwesterly direction he'd take, he also remembered the various towns and places of interest from his map.  The Old Sarum castle, just north of Salisbury, came to mind.  Although the old motte and bailey castle was only nine hundred years old--some three thousand years newer than Stonehenge--it was an interesting historical site in its own right and well worth a visit.  He hoped he'd have the time.

Several cars back, a nondescript dark blue Ford Mondeo with two men inside kept pace with Clive's car; a number of cars behind them was another Mondeo, lighter in colour but similarly manned.  Every so often, the lead car would close to within three cars of Clive and maintain that position for a few miles, then drop back.  Every twenty minutes, the trail car would gradually overtake the first car and would follow the same procedure.  In this way, they could keep their target in sight without drawing attention to themselves by always being in the same spot in Clive's rearview mirror.

All four men were fairly certain the rigid protocol was unnecessary, as their current target wasn't trying to escape them and had, therefore, no reason to suspect he was being followed.  Cedric was quite adamant about following protocol, however, and none of the four had any desire to spend a week in hospital for defying him.  Mile after mile, the little convoy continued its southwesterly journey.  In due course, the vehicular trio departed the M3 and continued onward, eventually passing through Andover for the final run into Salisbury.  Upon reaching Grasmere House, Clive grabbed his valise and went inside to register.  He paid no attention to the grey Ford that had turned in after him and driven to the east end of the car park.

* * *

"Yes, I see...very good, Cedric.  Thank you."  Geoffrey replaced the phone's receiver and turned to his companions.  That was Cedric with his first field report.  Our man's safely in his hotel, under watch by two-man teams on three hour shifts.  Now, Roderick, you were going to review the data?"

"Thank you, Geoffrey," Roderick replied as he handed out folders containing copies of graphs, reports and photographs of Stonehenge.  "As you can see from the graphs, specific energy readings taken at the circle on both annual solstices rise and fall in twelve year cycles.  The reports contain data, both verified and anecdotal, of reported instances of various metaphysical or 'supernatural' occurrences at each cycle's peak.  Based on the preponderance of the data, our experts agree that at this year's Winter Solstice two days hence, the energies will peak and a portal will open.  Our plan is to make use of that portal."  He paused a moment, then continued.  "As to our man, he fully meets our criteria: Although he gets on well enough with his fellow employees, he has no close friends or associates, and no living relatives; he is, in fact, orphaned.  This, along with his interest in things of this nature, as revealed by his regular visits to various websites, makes him a perfect selectee."

He went on for some minutes and, when he had answered all the questions put to him, turned the meeting back over to Geoffrey who, for his part, neatly summed up the day's activities and then adjourned the meeting.

* * *

On the verge of the A344 on the north side of the mystical henge, cars drove past what appeared to be a utilities repair crew hard at work.  An orange canvas enclosure encircled the repair site, enclosing a drilling machine and several hand tools.  The men were carefully excavating an area already ten feet in diameter and seven feet deep.  A few yards from this activity, the man in charge of the crew spoke on a radiotelephone.

"Yes, it will be ready in time...We're using four by four sheets of one inch pressed wood to shore up the sides and roof, and are going straight in from the roadway...No, the grassy areas are roped off; visitors are required to stay on the walkways.  Don't worry - it will take an earthquake to cause a collapse...Yes, I understand: by any means necessary.  Good bye."

He tossed the microphone into the truck's front seat and walked over to the workers.  "Alright, Tom, that's deep enough.  Get started on the tunnel."

Chapter 2 word count = 1006
Running total word count = 1385



MikeWrites
© Copyright 2019 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/650850-Chapter-2