*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660671-Learning-Curve
by Dobby
Rated: 13+ · Book · Health · #1569892
My personal journey toward attaining health and fitness.
#660671 added July 24, 2009 at 1:17pm
Restrictions: None
Learning Curve
I have always enjoyed learning new things. When I was a kid I was known to read encyclopedias, dictionaries and almanacs for fun and I considered myself (proudly!) a nerd in high school. I think that is one of the reasons that I am enjoying my new and ever-evolving exercise program so much. There are so many new and different ways to move and challenge my body that the learning opportunities are almost endless.

This past week has introduced a lot of new exercises. My trainer, April, likes to change things up fairly often and I really love that. I've had no chance to get stuck in a rut because we try something new almost every time. I'm on my third program so far! I love that - it keeps it fresh, interesting and challenging. Although many of the exercises target the same muscle groups, they do it in different ways. I like the process of learning the new exercise - I often have to think about it the first few times (quite hard!). I'm discovering new muscles all the time or hitting the same muscles in completely different ways. My body is almost always 'sore' (the hurts-so-good kind) but I love that too.

I also had the chance to work with a different trainer yesterday. April has been mentoring a new trainer for the past two weeks and she's been observing my sessions. She trained me yesterday with a program that she designed, so again, new, different, challenging. I LOVE having so much in my arsenal. I do strength on my own over the weekend and I do Abs every time I work out, so having a lot of options helps me challenge myself. I'm not tied to the same old monotonous routine.

Besides having the chance to learn so much about fitness, I learn something new about myself everyday. I believe that I knew myself pretty well when I started, but I still discover more about who I truly am all the time. I've learned that I (used to) underestimate myself. I've given up some old beliefs about myself and my capabilities so I am stretching farther than I have in a very long time.

What else have I learned? I've learned that the scale is not the greatest indicator of progress for me. I've learned that I can eat a lot of food if it is the right food and that a treat once in a while is okay. I've learned that there are some foods that I really have to avoid completely because once I start I have a hard time stopping (sweets, especially candy, for example). I've learned that I am fairly sensitive to sodium and really need to watch my intake or I get bloated. (Blech! - I was high yesterday and I am paying the price today.) I've learned that working out (exercise, like diet feels too negative for me) makes me feel really amazing; it can calm me, inspire me, energize me, help me sleep and even cure PMS and cramps. I've learned that working out later in the day is typically better for me and that nothing feels quite as nice as some long, slow stretches at the end of a workout. I've learned that, for me, having someone to be accountable to is extremely important in staying focused.

That's a lot of learning in two months and that's really just a fraction of it. I'm so happy to enjoy the journey and to embrace the learning that each step brings.

© Copyright 2009 Dobby (UN: dobby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dobby has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660671-Learning-Curve