*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692176-In-My-Easter-Bonnet
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#692176 added April 3, 2010 at 4:46pm
Restrictions: None
In My Easter Bonnet
Word count: 537

Photo of myself as child.


Once I had an Easter bonnet
with all sorts of frills upon it
Momma took a picture of me
wearing my pretty Easter bonnet
there was no color film or cameras then
so the photo is in black and white
I don’t remember the color of the dress or bonnet,
but I know that they were either pastel green or pink,
because when Mom or Grandma bought me Easter cloths
they chose either pink or pastel green.

I remember the song “In Your Easter Bonnet” playing on the radio about Easter time. I also remember Grandma playing the “Easter bonnet” record. Grandma and Grandpa had a record radio-record player combination, which they used everyday. Around the holidays, Grandma always had the appropriate records to play.

I do not remember her playing many songs during the Easter holiday season. In fact, the only Easter songs I remember are “In Your Easter Bonnet” and “Peter Cottontail”. I am sure there were more Easter songs and Grandma may have played other songs, but I only remember two of the songs.

Easter was a wonderful time of year. Grandma and Mama took us shopping and everyone got new cloths. My brothers got nice suites because it was the custom for boys to wear suites to church on Easter Sunday. My sister and I got new dresses, usually pink or green, and a pretty Easter bonnets to match our dresses.

On Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter, I remember we always wore last year’s Easter dresses to church. Sometimes they did not fit quite like they did the year before, but they were still good enough to wear for church and other special occasions. On the Monday before Easter, we went shopping for Easter cloths. I enjoyed going shopping with Mom and Grandma because we always stopped at the Dairy Queen or the drug store for ice cream cones.

On Saturday, the day before Easter, there was an Easter egg hunt at the airport across the street from where Grandma and Grandpa lived. The always had colored Easter eggs to find and every child who participated in the hunt got candy eggs. My siblings and myself would sleep at our grandparents’ house on Saturday night.

On Easter Sunday, we always woke up to find an Easter basket for each of us. The Easter basket contained colored eggs, candy eggs, and a chocolate Easter bunny in each basket. That was the only day of the year; we could have candy with our breakfast. We could choose which piece of candy we wanted to eat. Easter was the only time of year my brothers, sister, and I could agree on anything. We all chose the chocolate Easter bunny to eat.

I bought two Chocolate Easter bunnies about a week ago; they are in my refrigerator right now. On Easter morning, Mom and I will eat the chocolate bunnies for breakfast. I will make a pot of fresh coffee, we will turn on the T.V. and we will eat the chocolate Easter bunnies. I remember growing up, we never watched T.V. at breakfast time. On Easter, Grandma would play Easter music while we ate breakfast, but we never watched television at that time of day.


© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692176-In-My-Easter-Bonnet