*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692241-Celebrating-Easter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#692241 added April 4, 2010 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
Celebrating Easter
Word count: 509

Easter morning was always a whirl of activity at Grandma’s house. I am not sure why we referred to my Grandparent Newlands home as Grandma’s house. Both Grandma and Grandpa Newland were alive and lived in the house, but the house always seemed to belong to Grandma and the yard to Grandpa.

As I was saying, Easter morning was a swirl of activity. We, my siblings and me, got up early Sunday morning, found the Easter basket the Easter bunny had left for us. Then we got ready to go to church, while Grandma fixed breakfast. When we got up, Grandma and Grandpa were already dressed and ready for the day.

Grandma cooked breakfast. On Easter Sunday, she made eggs, bacon, and toast. Grandma also poured our milk and orange juice; after breakfast, while Grandma was doing the dishes, we could eat one piece of candy. Easter morning was the only day of the year; we could eat candy after breakfast. It was also the only Sunday morning of the year, all four of us was ready to go to church before breakfast began.

Grandma never left the house on Easter Sunday or any other Sunday without washing the breakfast dishes. Normally, my sister brothers, and I were still getting ready, but on Easter Sunday we were eating our chocolate Easter bunnies. This was also, the only time of the year my siblings and I agreed on anything. We all agreed that the candy we wanted after breakfast was the chocolate bunny.

After Grandma put the dishes away, we all got into Grandpa’s car and went to church. At church, everyone at new Easter outfits. Of course, at that time we did not call our new cloths “outfits”. Everyone had new cloths, all the girls wore dresses with bonnets and all the boys wore suits and ties. We all looked fashionable.

The Easter Sunday sermon was always on the same subject. Each year the Reverend used different words (at least, I think he used different words), but he spoke the same subject. The subject was the Resurrection of Christ. After the sermon, the choir would sing song appropriate to the occasion. One of the songs was “Christ the Lord has risen today”.

The Sunday school classes covered the subject of Christ resurrection. The teachers encouraged use to memorize some of the scriptures. The only scriptures I can remember memorizing was Psalms 23 and the Lord’s Prayer. I know there were other scriptures we were encouraged to memorize, but those are the only scriptures I remember today.

For my Grandparents
Easter Sunday was special
A celebration

I no longer celebrate Easter, but I remember the Easters of my childhood fondly. I enjoyed coloring eggs, going on Easter egg hunts, and going to church on Easter Sunday with my grandparents. Those were fun times, because they were part of the happiest times of my childhood and I they spent them with my grandparents. Holidays with Grandma and Grandpa Newland were wonderful and I think I need to write more about them.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692241-Celebrating-Easter