*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696426-A-New-Key-for-the-front-Screen-Door
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#696426 added May 16, 2010 at 5:50pm
Restrictions: None
A New Key for the front Screen Door
Word count: 530

I bought a new key for the front screen door today. I went to Lowes and had them make a new key, so we now have two keys for the screen door. The screen door at the front entrance is a security screen door. It is not one of those flimsy screens like the one my grandparents had on there house, in Blackwell, Oklahoma.

This door has metal bars across the screen and a lock that uses a key. To lock the door, I put the key in and a bolt goes through the metal piece affixed to the wood doorframe. I have no idea what to call the pieces of the door, I know that each has a specific name; I am going to have to find out what they to call them.

A writer should know the names of things she is describing. Calling something a thing-a-ma-jig is not conducive to good writing. Most readers are not going to know I am talking about. Thing-a-ma-jig is not a scientific name or even the name of a product. At least I have never heard of a product called a thing-a-ma-jig. All though, that might be an interesting and profitable item to invent and sell. It would be amusing anyway.

I also bought a doorknob at Lowes today. I need to put a new doorknob on the front door. I opened the package and realized the knob is more complicated to put on then I thought, which is normally the results of almost any repair project I attempt. I am going to have to put to new doorknob on Thursday or Friday because I have a training classes Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM.

I think I can install the doorknob myself. Installing a doorknob cannot be any more difficult then changing a flat tire. I can change a flat tire if I have the proper equipment. I know I have everything to install the doorknob because I have several different types of screwdrivers in the house. Everything else came with the new doorknob. They did not include screwdrivers with the doorknob.

I suppose half-a-dozen different types and sizes of screwdrivers are things everyone has. If a person does not have the proper screwdriver then it is easy enough to go to Lowes or one of the other Home Improvement stores and buy them. One can buy a good selection of screwdrivers for less then $10.00. A screwdriver is a multipurpose tool, which a person can use for almost anything.

The problem with screwdriver is remembering where they are in the house. I prefer to keep them in the kitchen in the junk drawer or in the car. I do not put my screwdrivers in the garage because I normally need one in the house or in the car. Maybe I need to write an ode to a screwdriver, I will have to think about that. I have written poems about numerous things including a Harley-Davidson, but I have never written a poem about a screwdriver. I think the best place to start a poem like that is to list all the uses for a screwdriver.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696426-A-New-Key-for-the-front-Screen-Door