*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698822-Inferno--June-10
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1678235
Daily off-the-cuff writing, prompted by photos provided by Leger in 15 For 15 Contest
#698822 added June 10, 2010 at 4:41pm
Restrictions: None
Inferno ~ June 10
Jack Kensington updated the insurance policy months ago, the same week he’d had shelves installed in the panic room for all the family photo albums and financial papers. The wait since hadn’t been easy, but he was a smart man. Shark smart. And he was a master of self-discipline. That’s how he’d made it to the top of the financial game so quickly. Playing his hedge fund cards right, leaving no eyebrow-raising evidence behind. Replace all divots.

Now, stage two of his plan was in motion.

He’d said, to reassure his staff when the house of cards began to come down, “Destiny is what you make of it.” Damn good words to live by. He’d repeated that mantra each time he’d had to let another one go. It was just him and his secretary left, but the company was still afloat. All he needed now was some capital…and they were going to take the house anyways.

He’d kissed his wife on the cheek and put her in a cab two days before. The spa out in Arizona was pricey, but you have to spend money to make money. Then yesterday, he’d scheduled lawn service, and chatted with the mowers as his cabby loaded his suitcases in the taxi. They’d waved good-bye and wished him good luck on his out-of-town meeting.

Despite all his planning, he’d still felt a surge of relief when the home security company called his cell phone at midnight, reporting the fire. If there was one thing he’d learned in his life, it was to control the X-factor before the unexpected caused problems. But the sympathetic voice told him the house was reportedly fully engulfed. He was so sorry. Jack choked back a false sob as he thanked the security representative and closed his phone. He smiled in the darkness of his hotel room. No glitches, so far.

His phone rang again, and his wife’s cell number appeared on the screen. He answered in the same emotional voice he’d used with the security guy.

“Cheryl! Oh God…did security call you, too?”

Jack!”

Her voice was laced with hysteria. He swallowed his guilt, told himself he had their whole life to make it up to her.

“Brook—I can’t – won’t answer – phone…”

“What are you---?”

“Home – from school --wanted to surprise us, didn’t know…” Cheryl’s sobs drowned her words.

Jack’s world tilted, and in a voice totally different from the one he’d used with the security man, he screamed, “NOOOooooo!”
© Copyright 2010 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698822-Inferno--June-10