*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698998-The-First-Time-I-Voted-in-a-National-Election
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#698998 added June 12, 2010 at 3:11pm
Restrictions: None
The First Time I Voted in a National Election
Word count: 527

I remember the first election I voted, the year was 1968 and I had turned 21 the previous December. I cast my first vote in a Presidential election and I have voted in every Presidential election since.

At the time, you could go to the polls on Election Day, register and vote. Now you have to register before Election Day in order to cast your vote. I remember going to the Primary Election, registering as a Democrat and voting. In the forty-two years since, the process of registering and voting has changed.

In 1968, there were no electronic voting machines. We used paper ballets and we punched out a little hole beside the person we wanted to elect. Not only has the voting process changed, but also I have changed. At the time I first registered as a Democrat, I never thought to question why I reregistered with that party. At the time, I simply assumed that since my parents and grandparents were registered Democrats, I would register as Democrat.

Now I am registered Nonpartisan, that is the party affiliation on my voter registration can. I no longer wish to affiliate myself with any specific party because of the disunity and the fighting between the specific parties. In a primary election, this means that I vote only for nonpartisan seats on the ballet.

What I remember most about that Presidential Election was going to the polls with my grandparents. We went early in the day, each person going alone into the voting booth and closing the curtain. Once I was in the booth, I read everything on the ballet and I cast my vote slowly. I did give some thought about what I was doing in the booth; I just never considered registering as anything except a Democrat.

The Democratic convention of 1968 was a pivotal point in Election history. I remember watching the news coverage. The happenings at the convention amazed and frightened me. The 1960s was as an interesting time to come of age in America. The country was changing, people were beginning to ask questions; the citizens of America were asking “Why?” and demanding answers.

In my first Presidential election, I went into a curtained voting booth and cast my ballet using paper and a punch device. In the last Presidential Election, I walked up to an electronic voting machine with privacy screens around it. At the voting machine, I used a touch screen and my index finger to cast my ballet.

Many changes have occurred in the forty-two years since I cast my first ballet. One of the things that have changed is the campaigning process; it has gotten dirtier since I cast my first ballet. Election campaigns today focus more on the perceived shortcomings of the candidates rather in on the issues.

It is more difficult, for a thinking individual, to choose a candidate for any office. When issues are the focus, a thoughtful citizen can chose based on the issues. When the shortcomings of the candidates are the focus the issues are obscured and it is more difficult to chose the best person for the job under the present world conditions.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698998-The-First-Time-I-Voted-in-a-National-Election