*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700064-update
by spidey
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1207864
If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?
#700064 added June 25, 2010 at 9:55am
Restrictions: None
*update*
Wow, it's been a really long time! *Shock*

Well, here I am, one day before my very first 5k race, and I'm suffering from shin splints. *Cry*

I thought I did everything right. I followed the program and increased my times slowly. I didn't push myself too hard, and once I completed the 3.1 mile distance, I worked on that distance for a few weeks leading up to my very first race. The last time I ran was last Sunday. It didn't seem any different than any other time I ran that route. But as I finished, I noticed some real pain in my shins. I'd experienced tightness and soreness before, but this was different. It was actual pain.

Then, starting Monday, I couldn't hop or jog without pain in my shins. Still not sure what I did to cause them, but it appears as if I have shin splints. I've worn the same sneakers for the past 3 months (not even 100 miles in them yet, so they can't be too worn); I drink tons of water everyday; I make sure to get enough calcium and potassium; I run on pavement, not concrete; and I'd been running the same route and about the same pace for two weeks or so.

I've been icing my shins and taking ibuprofen. At this point, almost a week later, I can jog very lightly with only slight pain. I'm wondering if maybe my shins will loosen up a bit, and maybe I'll be able to run at least part of the race tomorrow. At first, I was extremely upset. I thought I did everything right, so why was I experiencing shin splints? I was angry and depressed that I'd trained for months only to miss my first race.

But, I'm working hard on looking at the brighter side of things. I'm going to take part in the race no matter what. Walking doesn't cause me pain, so if I have to walk most of the race, that's fine with me. (The race is open to walkers as well as runners) It's benefiting the rec center of the town where I grew up, so I feel good about participating. Pre-registrants get free swag, so I'll still get the tshirt and stuff! There are more races this year, in the Fall, so I'll have time to prepare and heal up before they start.

So I'm proud that I finished the Couch-to-5k program finally. I consider myself a runner (albeit a "beginner" or "amateur" one), and I can run 3 miles now! Yeah, I got shin splints, but I have a lot to be happy about, too! And overall, my experience with running has been amazing! I was one of those, "I could never run 3 miles!" types of people. Now when people say that to me, I reply, "I bet you can!" The C25k program taught me a lot about myself and made me a stronger, happier person.

*Smile*


© Copyright 2010 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700064-update