*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700305-Going-Home---Home-Coming
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#700305 added June 28, 2010 at 5:32pm
Restrictions: None
Going Home – Home Coming
Word Count: 571

Original Title: Homecoming Queen Returns


“Home at last!” Greta said, as she guided the 1920 vintage Harley-Davidson into the driveway of her grandparents’ lavender ranch style house. Taking off her helmet, she bucked the straps and hung it over the handlebars before dismounting the bike. Then she removed the leather saddlebags from the back of the bike, placed them over her shoulders and walked up to the front door.

I wonder if Uncle Jake is home, she thought ringing the doorbell three times and then counting backwards from one hundred. When no one answered the door, she removed the key from beneath the welcome mat and unlocked the door. Inside, she entered the pass code into the alarm system and then went into the living room.

“Twenty years,” she sighed, brushing a strand of red hair out of her green eyes, “I’ve been gone twenty years and nothing has changed.”

“That’s not true, Greta,” came a woman’s voice from behind her.

“Clara,” she turned around to face her own mirror image, “Who the hell are you?”

“You are Greta Nelson, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” Greta sat down on the couch without taking her eyes of her double, “but you’re not me and you’re not my Cousin Clara!”

“No, and I’m not your clone either, no matter what people here in Laughing Gas say.”

“Then who are you?”

“Would you like coffee and a sandwich, Greta? I doubt that you have eaten anything since you left Las Vegas.” The woman left the room and returned a few minutes later pushing a cart containing a tray of sandwich and a carafe of coffee.

“I am your twin sister,” she said handing Greta a cup of black coffee. “My name is Gretel.”

“Impossible!” Greta dropped the cup and it fell onto the white carpet “My twin sister died twenty years ago. Both she and her fiancĂ© were killed in a motor cycle accident on Route 95, neither one wore a helmet.”

“I am Gretel! I did not die! Greta, you left right after David’s funeral and before I got out of the hospital.”

Greta picked up a cup off the cart, poured coffee into it and then placed the cup on the oak coffee table in front of the couch. “Gretel,” her voice trembling with anger, “died in the accident. We buried her the same day we buried David.”

“Sis, drink your coffee before it cools down.”

Instead of drinking the coffee, Greta stood up and began to search the house. Moving methodically from room to room, she opened every door, cupboard, closet, and drawer. The only thing she found was woman’s clothing and perfectly clean rooms.

“What happened to Uncle Jake?” Greta asked walking back into the living room and sitting on the couch. “His e-mail said he would be here today, waiting impatiently for my return.”

“I… he left for work early this morning. I don’t expect him back until about dinner time.”

“You are the only one living in this house, Gretel or whatever you name is. I want to know who you are. I want to know what happened to Uncle Jake or I am calling the police.”

“No!” Gretel grabbed Greta’s right hand. An electrical current ran through Greta’s body causing her to pass out. Two hours later, she came around to find herself lying in a hospital bed, with her Uncle Jake sitting in a chair next to her.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700305-Going-Home---Home-Coming