*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705449
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1704519
For Sr Mod WDC 10th Birthday Contest
#705449 added October 14, 2010 at 10:36am
Restrictions: None
Black Velvet

She couldn’t believe her ears.  Genevieve, who used to wear nothing but high-necked collars and floor sweeping skirts in college, who fell in love with the first man to say ‘boo’ in her direction, was now telling her that not only had she chucked Jonathan to the curb, but she had done so over birthday cake.  Or more specifically, over the chocolate cake of Claude, French-chef extraordinaire and seducer of stood-up birthday girls.

“On the bar?  Right there, on the bar, where anybody that looked in could have seen you?” Antonia sputtered. 

“Yes lovey, on the bar.”  Antonia hadn’t seen Genevieve this happy in months.  She fairly oozed with excitement.  “And the chef’s table, and the storage room, in the car on the way to my house and of course all over the house.  It was just what I needed.”

“Well, nothing I can say to that.  I’m dying to meet this specimen of perfect manhood,” Antonia replied.  “But I’m not sure I should eat anything he makes, or we might end up in a fight.  You know how I love cake.” 

Genevieve gently punched her in the shoulder.  “No way.  I called dibs.  But he does have two single brothers who are almost as perfect!” The two of them fell over giggling.  “But seriously sweetie, I want you to meet him.  He’s wonderful.”

Antonia reached into her purse and pulled out her pocket calendar.  It had saved her life more than once.  On her own, she could never keep dates and meetings straight.  After looking at her schedule, she asked, “I’m free Friday.  Do you guys have plans?”

“That’s perfect!” Genevieve said, jumping up and down with happiness.  “Yes, you will come to the restaurant, Daniel will flirt shamelessly with you, and maybe rope one of his other strapping sons into serving us.  You don’t understand how awesome this is.” 

“I’ll find out, won’t I?”  Antonia smiled softly. 

“Such a skeptic.  I hope you are man enough to eat your words.”  She looked down at her watch. “I’m late again.  Surprise, surprise.  I got to run.”  They air-kissed goodbye and Genevieve whirlwinded off. 

She loved the girl, she really did, but sometimes Genevieve could be a bit much.  Then again, people said that about Antonia all the time, so maybe they were just two peas with a lot going on.  And she was a darling.  Without her, Antonia would never have made it through college.  So if Genny wanted her to come meet her Frenchman, the love of her life after only two weeks, that’s exactly what she’d do.  Besides, who wouldn’t be curious about the kind of food that sent her normally level-headed friend into rapturous fits?

When Friday rolled around, she was questioning the wisdom of her decision.  Antonia hadn’t seriously believed Genny about the passel of strapping sons.  So she’d let her have fun making her over into a flirty femme fatale, figuring no harm would come of it.  But walking into the restaurant in borrowed strappy shoes and an uncomfortably tight skirt, with several male eyes following her lurching process to the back of the restaurant, she realized Genny had suckered her.  This wasn’t about food.  This was about trying to get her a date, get her, in Genny’s words, “out there in the real world, where there are men who aren’t stupid enough to walk away from you.”  Antonia understood the impulse – lord knows she had it about Jonathan.  But she wasn’t ready.  Might never be ready, in fact, or over Tom.

“Ah, this is your beautiful Antonia?”  A lovely older gentleman came over to her and kissed her hand.  Without meaning to, Antonia flushed bright red.  Accepting compliments wasn’t her forte. 

But she rallied.  “And you must be Daniel.  I’ve heard so much about you.” 

“Come, sit.”  He pulled out a chair for her, the epitome of class and manners, and stepped back with a flourish.  She looked over at Genevieve, eyes agog, and mimed confusion.

“Ssshh.  Stop thinking so much, that’s just how he is,” she said when Daniel walked over to two of the chefs by the ovens.  “The food is to die for.  And they are the sweetest men ever.  Don’t make them like that in States, that’s for sure.” 

“Daniel reminds me of my father growing up.  With the charm and the accent and the good looks.”

“Well, his sons have it in spades, and speaking of,” she cut herself off to smile up at one of the biggest men Antonia had ever seen, “this is Claude.  Claude, meet the other love of my life, Antonia.”  He looked so fierce Antonia was briefly frightened.  Then Claude smiled and honest to God, she felt her heart skip a beat. 

“Lovely to meet you,” Antonia managed to stutter.  He was extremely attractive.  In fact, she might be unintentionally ogling the most good-looking man she’d ever seen.

“I think she likes you,” Genny teased.  “And if she likes you, she needs to meet Louis.”  The sexual tension between Genny and Claude crackled.  It all made sense now.  “Louis,” she shouted, “get over her.”  To Antonia she whispered, “You will loooove him.  And his goods.”

© Copyright 2010 romance_junkie (UN: pepsi2484 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
romance_junkie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705449