*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705796
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1704519
For Sr Mod WDC 10th Birthday Contest
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#705796 added October 14, 2010 at 11:36am
Restrictions: None
Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes

“I swear to all that is holy I will blow my brains out all over this carpet before I set foot in that club.” 

“But I made the table reservation weeks ago!  I’ll lose my deposit!”  She didn’t bother to respond.  There were some things that were beyond bearing.  Then Genny started laughing.  Antonia’s relief shook her frame – thank God it was just a horrible joke.  “Oh my god,” Genny managed through gasps, “you should have seen your face… Did you actually think that I would…?”

“Yes, stupid, I actually did.  Why else would I have been so mad?”  There was no bite in her voice.  “You gave me hives!  See?”  She rolled up her sleeve to show Genny the small rash blossoming on her arms.  Which only made her friend laugh harder. 

“Hives over Tenjune?  Oh Antonia, I love you!”  She followed her point with an all-enveloping hug.  “Besides, I have something much more exclusive in mind!” 

Antonia pushed away.  “You know I hate surprises right?  So if you’re planning anything ridiculous --”

“Ridiculous?  My feelings are hurt!  When I have I ever done something for you that you haven’t absolutely loved?”

“When you set me up with Michel?  When you convinced me to dye my hair purple?  When you invited those bongo players from the park back to my apartment?”

But Genny was unfazed.  “Why must you be the rain on my parade?  And you had fun every single one of those times, don’t even deny it!”

“Well,” Antonia began reluctantly, “I guess Martin and his Swing Boys were a once in a lifetime experience.  And Michel is a sweetheart.  But I still hold you responsible for –”

“I know I know.  Not my best idea.  Especially since you have such beautiful hair.  That pixie you had afterwards was adorable though.”  Her smile didn’t fool Antonia for a second.  Genny was on the birthday warpath.  “That’s neither here nor there.  Unless…?”

Rolling her eyes, she played along.  “Unless what oh fearless leader?”

“Unless,” Genny said slyly, “you don’t want to know what your surprise is.  Ungrateful birthday girls get left behind.”

Unbelievable.  She had a planned a trip?  Antonia was afraid to ask.  “Please tell me we’re not going somewhere ridiculous like Palm Springs.  I’m too old be hanging around partying college kids.”

“You only graduated five years ago.  What do you mean too old?  You act like you’re turning fifty.”

“I started school two years late.  And I was already a year behind.  All I see is that I’m that much closer to 30.”

“Sometimes dear, it’s a wonder we haven’t killed each other yet.  Debbie Downer much?”  Genny’s complaint, familiar as her own face in the mirror, rolled off her.  She preferred to think of herself as realistic.  Her last two boyfriends called her bitter and cynical.  Ah well, she smiled wryly, you live and learn.  Like that old diapers commercial.  “What are you thinking about now?  You’ve got your pensive face on.”

Antonia laughed.  “Nothing serious.  I wonder sometimes how I got this way.  No no,” she waved Genny off, “not in a sad way, just looking back at my life and the people in it.”

“Oh I see, you’re thinking about the boys you’ve dated.”

“We’re almost thirty.  Don’t you think we should call them men?”

“Not that ones you’ve dated.”  Ok, she had walked right into that one.  “I couldn’t help it, you walked right into that one.”  Great minds – or at least, friends for ages – though alike.

“My surprise?”

“You’re no fun.  Fine.  Let me go get the tickets.”  Genny walked into her bedroom muttering all sorts of things about her parentage.  It made Antonia chuckle.

“Where’s the husband?”

“At the restaurant,” her friend called back.  There was a loud crashing and colorful swearing. 

“Graceful as ever, huh?”

“Woman, when I get out from under this mountain of that man’s things I am going to kill you for laughing instead of helping.  Why won’t he ever put anything away?” she wailed.  “Hangers, drawers, closets, is it really that hard?”  Antonia kept silent, wisely she thought.  As person who constantly forgot or didn’t care enough to be neat, she figured expressing any sympathy for “that man” would get her in trouble. 

Disheveled but grinning, Genny came out brandishing a folder.  “Antonia’s Awesome Birthday” was plastered on the cover in glitter and rhinestones.  “You didn’t?” 

“Oh, but I did.  Behold, the bedazzled book of power!” 

“You bought one?”

“Hey, don’t judge.  You know how I feel about infomercials.  What better to kick off our trip?” Genny said, handing her the folder. 

Antonia was floored.  “Vegas?  You’re taking me to Vegas?  Oh my god oh my god!”  Squealing and jumping around like a small child, Antonia leaped onto Genny.  “Thank you thank you thank you this is the best birthday present ever but it must have been so expensive I don’t even know what to say—”

“Ummph.  Slow down there buddy.  You’re squeezing me to death.” 

“Sorry,” she said, letting go.  “I got a little excited there.”

“No kidding.  It’s actually from me and the Pierrots.  And Claude is coming, but only for the weekend.  We leave on Tuesday and get back Monday night.”

“How did you get all those days off from work?”

“Well, I went into Mike’s office and slowly took off my blouse… why are you so gullible?  I asked, you ninny.  I had days saved up from last year.  How could I let you go to Vegas alone?  You’d never make it back.  You’d end up a case on one of those forensic shows.” 

Antonia laughed ruefully.  She didn’t think she was quite that bad.  But she wasn’t the most savvy individual known to man.  “You’re probably right.”

“I know I am.  Now the question is, what do we pack?  We leave in three days.”


© Copyright 2010 romance_junkie (UN: pepsi2484 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
romance_junkie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705796