*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708358-Monday-Night-and-the-Allegations
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#708358 added October 14, 2010 at 8:20pm
Restrictions: None
Monday Night and the Allegations
There is speculation there is a silver lining in Monday night's near comeback against the New York Jets that fell flat after Brett Favre failed to connect with Percy Harvin before the interception that essentially ended the game.

Favre dug deep in his bag and pulled out a near miracle in the second half, finding that missing passing game now that Randy Moss is in the line-up. Whether it be his 500th career TD pass to number 84 or the two he threw to Harvin, it was suddenty clicking. And that meant leaving Adrian Peterson out of the mix. Throwing only 7 passes in the first half produced nothing on the scoreboard.

It's being said Moss needs to learn the offense, but his go-routes alone may be opening up the middle of the field for receivers who run underneath. The Jets only put one defender on him, but that luxury is not available for many other teams who will likely devote two defenders most of the time.

Something lit a fire under Favre in that second half. He looked desperate to win and like many of the great ones, showed that tendonitis and bad ankles will not slow him when the adrenaline is pumping.

AS TO THE ALLEGATIONS
This business of a scandal involving a former Jets employee suddenly becoming front page news was perfectly timed for the Jets. I wondered why, since this story has been circulating since August. Check PFT for the original details and compared to the rehashed stuff now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/04/bizarre-allegations-against-favr...

Why did the NFL wait until now to investigate when this was under everyone's nose all along? I think it was because the Jet's organization pushed the agenda.

Jen Sterger may have been used as a pawn to create this distraction going into Monday night's game. The timing of the thing couldn't be better. The headlines even go as far as wondering if this will end Favre's streak instead of injury or retirement or a flat out benching. I say no.

This seemed like a ploy, whether or not rumors were true. The Jets were unusually quiet going into this week and all the commentators talked about how strange/ironic that was. It could have been because the team may have harrassed a female reporter just a month ago and they didn't want that to resurface. And why didn't it?

For comparison's sake, it might not be unusual for NFL teams to treat women like objects. Look at cheerleaders and their uniforms and the types of routines they do now that would even make some of the most liberal parents avert their childrens' eyes. Female massage therapists were also linked to alleged misbehavior on Favre's part. I can only imagine what uses these organizations might employ women for and wonder if that could be explored more. In short, I'm implying misogynistic behavior is cultivated in these environments.

Favre is no choir boy and the biggest wonder is how his wife Deanna is handling all of this. That should be the only court of opinion that matters. This should not be a Tiger Woods-like witch hunt. Am I'm thinking the NFL media will be much kinder because reporters want to keep their press/field passes.

I'm sure the league will not get help from Sterger unless someone gives her incentive to come forward to tell her story. Who with enough clout could get her to do it? Those that would benefit would be NFC North division opponents. The NFL doesn't want their poster boy tarnished anymore. And there's another way of looking at this.

Many fans may like the good ole boy mentality, the gunslinger who doesn't abide by the rules. The story of one with a libidinous appetite for life who can shake things off with a wink and a grin. They haven't pulled his Wrangler commercials that were clearly evident Monday from the outset. There is something about him that will make fans want to root for him more, rather than less after this. And to assure this happens, he and the Vikings have to play well from here on out.

So it all hinges on Moss and what he brings to the table that will help this team. And don't forget that Sydney Rice returns mid-season giving Minnesota ample ammunition to annihilate the rest of the league and go on to the Super Bowl. It's not over, even after a 1-3 start in a weak division.

And now the angle we all could see coming...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/12/sterger-wants-proper-resolution-...

and Ditka tersely weighs in...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/14/mike-ditka-has-absolutely-zero-s...


© Copyright 2010 He’s Brian K Compton 18 year (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton 18 year has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708358-Monday-Night-and-the-Allegations