*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708509
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#708509 added October 15, 2010 at 4:58am
Restrictions: None
Favre's Streak May End
Should I have added a question mark to the title of this blog entry?

Just as I want to lure eyes to read what this is about, isn't it possible Brett Favre and the Vikings want to create a little doubt for their upcoming opponent in the Cowboys? Anything to get an edge on a dangerous team that is 1-3 like Minnesota and seeing their playoff hopes dwindle.

But, PFT reports there is the real possibility Favre could sit out on Sunday. Really? I'm supposed to buy this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/14/brett-favre-could-be-a-game-time...

There's enough to create some doubt and confusion and maybe Cowboys's coach Wade Phillips will buy into this. But no way does his team prepare to see Tavaris Jackson at quarterback. If anything, Favre will start and try to see how favre he can go. I think once he gets going, he has no notion of exiting until he's got his team favre enough ahead.

Some annoying word play, I know. But it's Favre's way. His ego is too big. If this scandal with the former Jet's sideline reporter wasn't hanging over his head, I'd say this story about him not starting doesn't surface.

Favre's camp would like you to stop focusing on that case and start worrying about his injury. He could be playing the sympathy card or just trying to deflect attention away. Reporters will be loading up questions about tendonitis instead of the scandal and maybe the story is forced to the back pages instead of the headlines.

Favre may be masterful at more than quarterbacking a football team. He's playing the media and his opponent by creating this diversion. What if...his arm really doesn't bother him as bad as he says. I saw how hard he threw the ball in the Monday night tilt against the Jets...and then hold his arm for lining up and unleashing another bullet. It could be that there was some minor pain there, but maybe he was setting up reporters to lob him some questions after the game about his arm and start moving discussions in another direction?

To us, this is clever. A cunning and calculated move that a wry ole country boy gunslinger would come up with to the appreciation of some adoring fans. Now, if LeBron James pulls a simliar ploy, he's reviled as a phony and a quitter.

There's something more Machiavellian about Favre. Maybe, more simply, it's like telling a white lie after a whopper of an allegation, where the NBA superstar apparently made up an injury so he could leave one team for another. Favre is making a ploy that also helps his team and those who support him. The court of public opinion, like a pendulum, will sway back in his favor in a way that Tiger Woods will likely envy.

Favre can court favor and be forgiven more easily than any other. He's just like Elvis. Maybe it's something about these charismatic boys from Mississippi. What does his wife Deanna think of all this? The scandal will either bring them closer or drive a wedge between them. I'm guessing when she married him, she knew what she was in for. They've been through a lot together before this. And maybe this is a knock on her, but perhaps she had other motives when she married Favre.

Knowing Favre's background, including an incident I have third hand knowledge of involving a drunk driving mishap in his front yard, it's pretty safe to say Deanna Favre knows what hand she was dealt when she said 'I do.' She might be hearing what other women think when she doesn't blink and moves forward with her marriage...which I think will be the case. I think Elin Woods set the bar too high for other high-profile spouses to follow.


© Copyright 2010 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708509