*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709003
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#709003 added October 21, 2010 at 8:06pm
Restrictions: None
What Is Favre's Crime?
I'm trying to figure out if the NFL is really serious about getting to the bottom of these allegations against Brett Favre? What is his crime if sexual harassment charges are not being pursued?

The victim in this is Favre's wife, first and foremost. Does the NFL investigate infidelity? And to what degree has he cheated on Deanna? It gives me pause to wonder why this investigation is still in the headlines after NFL reps talked to Favre on Tuesday.

Favre had nothing to say about what was said behind closed doors and now it's reported the league wants to talk to the central figure, Jenn Sterger and also the website 'Deadspin' that displayed photos and cell messages Favre allegedly left the woman.

Sterger did an about face and has not cooperated with the NFL to date. And she is apparently up against it with statute of limitations about to expire on filing sexual harassment. And now she has lawyered up with a criminal defense attorney? Is it too little too late for a woman who is looking more like an extortionist rather someone who could just be out with the details and put this thing to rest.

It's likely she may have been a willing participant, and looking for a payday to keep her silence ala Tiger Woods' mistresses. And why didn't she hire the woman who represented the women who received hush money from the pro golfer? Could it be that Gloria Allred wouldn't take Sterger as a client?

To me it appears what looks like infidelity charges in the midst of an important season is enough to pressure Favre's camp into cutting a fat check. And it's likely Favre and his wife have a unified front, as she is ready to go into the public arena and promote her book in front of national media. Will she field questions about the alleged infidelity? Likely no, but agreements between interviewer and interviewee have been broken before. But it's a public relations risk if 'Good Morning America' or 'Fox & Friends' try to pull a fast one on Thursday.

Now, you might think Favre's wife should go Elin Woods on him. But we don't know exactly how they are dealing with this and more specifically what he has done that might be wrong. What I'm reminded of is an old adage my mom used with my dad, "He can look, but he can't touch."

As a kid I thought my mom would be offended as dad ogled a woman here and there. Apparently, they had an agreement and a solid foundation for their marriage. What have Brett and Deanna agreed to? 'You can text but you can't touch'?

A lot of people are trying to compare Favre to Ben Rothelisberger because of a pending NFL investigation that could lead to a suspension under the league's personal conduct policy. What Rothelisberger is accused of was heinous and could have brought about rape charges. There were reports of physical activity that included having sex with a woman against her will in a bathroom stall.

Favre may have gotten caught up in a game of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." That might have been a bit more than my mom would have tolerated, but given Favre's high profile status and background, his wife may be more accepting of this behavior. And if she puts up with this kind of misbehavior, she may find herself under the microscope for not having Elin's scruples.

It is rather seedy and unwanted for a fan like me to be exposed to all these reports, paraded about like newsworthy stuff when it's all speculative. The media is too nosy and needs to let the system sort this all out. I for one would like Sterger to get a black eye for her passive attempts to sully Favre's name to make a name for herself.




© Copyright 2010 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709003