*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/710300
Rated: ASR · Book · Entertainment · #1721932
My collection of flash fiction entries.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#710300 added November 4, 2010 at 10:26am
Restrictions: None
The Penny
The Penny


“Daddy, Daddy, can we get a hotdog?” Joey grabbed his Dad’s hand and attempted to pull him toward the shiny hotdog cart. His mouth watered as he watched the “dogs” go up and down on their metal spits.

“Yeah, I guess. Gimme two with mustard.” His Dad fingered the coins in his pocket, pulling handfuls out and laying them on the stainless steel counter.

The grumpy vendor handed over the “dogs” and eyed the pile of change with dismay. He counted out what he needed and pushed the balance toward the father. He humphed and harked as the dad and son walked off toward the ferris wheel.

“Hey, Willie. What’s up?” Bill, Willie’s friend from the ticket booth, plopped down in the metal chair behind the cart to pass the time on his break.

“Not much. I just got a ton of change unloaded on me for a couple of dogs. These hicks never heard of dollar bills.”

“Are you kidding? I hardly ever see any coins anymore. I collect coins, you know, numismatist they call me. Mind if I take a look?”

“Heck no, help yourself.”

With a twinkle in his eye and the eagerness reserved for the treasure hunter, Bill meticulously picked up each coin and examined it with a little magnifier he pulled from his trouser pocket.

“You’re wastin’ your time, Bill. That rube wouldn’t have anything valuable.”

Bill laid down the quarter he had inspected and picked up a shiny copper penny. On first glance, a bead of sweat appeared above his lip. He bent over it with his magnifier. When he straightened up, he looked like Long John Silver when his spade hit pay dirt.

“Willie, you got a 1969-S Lincoln here with a double die. It’s worth around $35,000!”


Winner of The Daily Flash 11/02/10

© Copyright 2010 Happy 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/710300