*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/720314
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(410)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1757392
A fantasy adventure that's full of action, mystery, and an ending making you beg for more.
#720314 added April 10, 2015 at 9:08pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter XI-A Death to Remember
Max got up and gathered his stuff, along with the other three, looking into the deeper darkness. They decided to rest a bit before their encounter with the Dark Lord to be at their fullest strength as possible. They could feel it already, the black mist was light around them, but the chills were setting in. The smell of death was, again, crawling its way into their noses and the sounds of distant screams of pain and agony pierced their ears. Becky grabbed hold of Max's hand and Cody had his hand on the hilt of the sword he had stolen from the fallen warrior. It was cold in the mist, but it wasn't the average weather cold anymore, they would get sudden chills in certain spots as if they were walking through the souls of the dead. Everywhere around them, it felt like there were eyes watching to kill. The sounds of hissing and soft whispering were all around them now as they reached a clearing in the smoke. Cody held his hand up to stop them from going any further.


"This is where he'll be," he said quietly.


Some of the smoke in front of them started swirling around a body that wasn't there before and as it cleared they could see the black figure of the Dark Lord standing before them, his glowing red eyes starring over at them and a wide grin coming across his face. "And how would you know something like that, Cody?" he hissed.


"It's kind of obvious, I think."


"Well, maybe, or maybe there's a bit of your past that you're not sharing with these lovely friends of yours."


Garen looked over at him quickly with a questioning look on his face, "What is he talking about?"


"No need to answer, Cody," the Dark Lord hissed back. "Now the reason why I am here is because I have to kill one of you. Orders from above, ya know. I can't kill Garen or the elf though. The Masked One wants them for himself. And I just won't kill you Cody."


"And why not?"


"How could I kill the previous one, the best and strongest one too? I can't kill my past life; it just wouldn't feel right killing the last Dark Lord." A grin came across his face as he saw the other's reactions.


Garen's eyes grew wide, his pupils getting small in his anger. "You were what?" Max let go of Becky's hand and he went over to Cody with a glare.


"Is that why you didn't care about those humans back there? Why you know so much about this?" He pulled down the collar of his shirt to expose the Dark Lord's mark, his skin glowing an infectious red around it.


"Enough talk," came the Dark Lord's voice. "I will kill you, now."


Before the Dark Lord could do anything, Cody was next to him. He cut him with his stolen sword and the Dark Lord let out a howl. He backed away in a cloud of smoke next to Max and brought down his shadowy sword. Sparks flew as his sword met Max's, causing the Dark Lord to smile quickly. Garen came running from behind him and swung down his sword, but it only went through smoke. Garen looked over towards Cody where he was fighting off the Dark Lord, cutting him deeply.


The Dark Lord, again, melted away from Cody in pain with some kind of creature next to him now, its body a dark shade of grey, its teeth long and sharp and its eyes pure black. "Get him," he growled at the pet next to his side.


The creature came flying at them faster than they could react. It hit Max in the chest and as soon as it hit, its tail split into two heads. The creature worked its way through Max quickly, the two heads at the back tearing something out of his body as it came out. As soon as it was out of his body, Max fell as if there was no life left in him and the creature was a little behind the Dark Lord, all three heads fighting over a silvery substance that almost resembled Max. Becky screamed out, running over to his body with tears falling from her eyes. She grabbed onto his body and picked it up, wrapping her arms around him crying and screaming for him, Garen was staring at him, his eyes red with tears fighting their way down his cheeks, and Cody was starring off at the Dark Lord, his eyes a fierce grey again.


"Don't worry he's not dead," the Dark Lord said with pleasure. "His body is still alive, but his soul on the other hand, well it's gone. Quite an interesting thing these Soul Drainers do."


Becky set Max's body down carefully and got up, looking at the Dark Lord with a beastly look in her face. She started walking toward him when he held up his hand and Max's body burst into flames, causing her to turn back around. She started running at him, the ashes falling from his body slowly and gracefully. Garen turned and almost started to charge at the Dark Lord, but he was already gone and the mist around them was clearing up, with the sun breaking through to reveal light to them again, the white rain no longer falling or on the ground. Becky fell to her knees, burying her face in her hands. Garen knelt down beside her and put his hand around her shoulder to comfort her looking up and glaring at Cody.


"You did this," he said. "You led us to him because you knew he would kill Max. And you knew you were safe!"


"Now why would I do something like that?" he asked. "He's not a part of me anymore, there's a reason why I kicked him out of my body and it was because I couldn't stand being him anymore."


"Then why wouldn't he kill you!" Garen stood up and started walking towards him. "I want you gone or I'm going to kill you, ya got that?"


"You won't be able to kill me," Cody said looking down at him. "You don't have the strength."


"Get outta here, now!"


Cody just nodded slowly, a hint of sadness in his face, "I can see when someone is blinded by anger, and the Pain of Loss causes you to blame innocent people, but I'll leave for now. But I'll be back when the time is right."


"If I ever see you again, I will kill you," Garen said as he started walking back to Becky, who was still knelt down on the ground.


Cody turned on his heel and began walking away, not taking a look back at Garen or Becky and not daring to look where Max's body was not minutes before. He'll be back, when the time is needed they'll want him back and he'll be there for them and he'll forgive them.


Garen helped Becky from the ground and put her arm around him so he could help her walk. "C'mon now. We need to start moving to the next city so we can get new supplies. Don't worry Becky; we'll get him for what he did. Max's death will not be in vain, I promise you that." He looked up at the distant city that seemed only a few kilometers ahead of them and started walking, Max's lifeless burnt body in his mind and the shower of his ashes scared into his thoughts. Tears tried to fall from his eyes, but he couldn't let them, he had to be the strong one, he had to be there for Becky and keep his promise. "I'm coming for you, and you'll meet a death too horrifying for even you to come up with."











The city was further than Garen had thought, or it was the unbalance of the planet causing it to take longer. Becky still wasn't talking or showing emotion. She just starred off into space, biting on her thumb. The only time she moved was when Garen helped her up and walked her himself. It was starting to worry him. Max's death took its toll on Garen, but Becky and he were getting close to each other. She acted as if a part of her had been taken, and maybe that were true; he couldn't imagine losing Marry, especially in the way that Max was taken from Becky.


He got up and walked toward her slowly, placing his hand on her shoulder.


"We have to get going, Becky," he said softly. "We have to get to the city before nightfall. The white rain isn't falling anymore, but it's still cold out and it'll get colder at night."


She looked up at him and nodded. Well, it's more than she's been doing. He then knelt down to help her up and she let him guide her, until they were fully standing and let go of him.


"I can walk from here, Garen," she choked. "Thanks."


"Right," Garen responded. "Well, let's get going then." He began walking toward the city that lied in front of them and Becky followed, walking slowly. It wouldn't take too long now.











He could see a little patch of forest in front of him that a creek ran through and beyond that was the city they had to reach next to get more supplies and after that was a rather large desert that looked as though it would take days to cross. Garen didn't know too much about deserts, or any other climates other than the one he grew up in, but he did know he would have to stock up on a lot of water. He looked back at Becky, who was now walking on her own, though still slow and a little out of it. It's been a couple days since Max's death and he couldn't shake it from his head and he could see that Becky was nowhere near getting better. The earth was doing its time trick again too. The city seemed not even a day’s walk when he first left for it, but yet it's taken them a little over two days and it looked as though it would be another day ahead of them. He looked over at the forest and started walking to it, there may be something to hunt for them in there and there was water from the creek.


"Where are we goin?" Becky slurred.


"Um, we're gonna head to the forest up here, Becky, to get some food and water. It looks like the next city may be another days walk or so."


"Oh, okay."


Garen looked over at her with a worried expression then turned back toward the forest and started walking. He was worried about her, from what she said back in the Dark Forest, elves don't show emotions like this, so why was she? Max dying was horrible to him, but she must have really loved him to be in the depressed state that she's in now. He stopped when he came up to the foot of the forest, which was a bit closer than he had thought before and looked into it to see if he could see the creek or any wildlife. He closed his eyes to listen for anything in the woods in front of them. He could hear the flowing of the creek almost directly in front of them and heard the passing of some animals.


"I'll go with you, Garen," Becky said in an attempted cheery voice. "I need to do something."


"Alright, Becky," he responded without question. "Let's get us some food."


Garen took a bow from his back that he hasn't touched since he left Kio and knocked an arrow, getting ready for anything that he may want, he saw Becky doing the same. They both crouched down and crawled to the creek where they saw a large buck drinking from the water. Garen held up his hand and Becky stopped behind him, drawing back her arrow ready to shoot. The buck lifted up its head to look around, ears twitching. Becky let go of her arrow and it hit the buck directly in the chest, where the heart is. The buck leaped up and crashed down, got back up on its legs and started running deeper into the forest, its white tail standing up. Garen went after it, Becky close behind him, tracking the little blood it left behind. He stopped in front of a clearing and looked into it with a slightly fearful look on his face. Becky came up next to him and looked into the clearing, her face going blank.


© Copyright 2015 Kyle Peterson (UN: kybaby40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kyle Peterson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/720314