*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722453-The-Castle-Jan-16-Barren-Land-Blossoms
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1768582
My contest entries for Legerdemain's 15 for 15, fiction and poetry.
#722453 added April 18, 2011 at 5:57am
Restrictions: None
The Castle; Jan-16, Barren Land Blossoms.
The castle

The group of History students from the University, had this chance of visiting a ruined castle of historical importance.

The guide to it, had a number facts at his disposal.

“This castle was of great significance, because the King was able to oversee the neighboring two cities, the nerve centers of the state,” said the guide as a preamble to the greater story that lay behind the castle, nestling in the lap of mountains.

The students’ curiosity rose forthwith. They listened with greater attention to the details, the guide started rolling out.

“The story dates back to the whereabouts of 18th century A.D. In those days, the land was infertile and the climate was always hot. Hence people were not able to grow enough grain for food. Drought was a common feature of these parts, much to the sorrow of the people. The river that flowed between the twin cities was not harnessed so as to canalize its waters for irrigation purposes.

“But now things changed I think, because there is no more scarcity of water here,” said the guy standing in the front.

“Yes. You are right. Let me tell you how it happened. The Prince of the state, on one of his trips to the cities, fell in love with a village maiden who was deeply spiritual. Yet as destiny ruled, she consented to his continuous imploring to marry him.” 

“The king however, was not that easy to fall in with his son’s wishes. Differences of class and religion were the reasons for his opposition. Despite the obstacles put in his way, the Prince used to swim the river and meet his sweetheart, who lived on the other bank.

“That must have been a horrific experience,” said a girl student.
“That’s true,” agreed the guide.
“After swimming on a particularly cyclonic night of fierce rain and wind, the young man
fell ill,” he continued.

“The court physicians advised the King, to bring in the girl, whose touch might cure him. So the King had sent for her, and seeing the magical way in which she brought him back to life from death’s door, he gladly married them off. A bridge was built across the river, and the twin cities now stand, well connected. The marriage also bridged the differences caste, creed, and religion. At least for a period, the people lived happily.”

“What a lovely legend behind the castle!” exclaimed quite a few, as they took random tour of the castle.
© Copyright 2011 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722453-The-Castle-Jan-16-Barren-Land-Blossoms