*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722458-Our-tall-friend-Giraffe
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1768582
My contest entries for Legerdemain's 15 for 15, fiction and poetry.
#722458 added April 17, 2011 at 5:37am
Restrictions: None
Our tall friend: (Giraffe)
Our tall friend

We used to be regular campers behind the game park in Durban where my father had a job. Our school authorities for educational and zoological tours, took us to these parks quite often. We were always curious and quite deeply interested in the animal kingdom. The sight of wild animals was not anything to be afraid of anymore.

I remember that particular weekend pretty clearly. John and I put up the camp among dense trees that offered a shady coolness, and walked into the park to have a look at the nearest-to-the-gate-friend, the Giraffe. His tall neck and black spots fascinated us to no end. His height was something we found quite impressive.

After spending a couple of hours, we decided to have our lunch and do some more gazing at the animals.
We went in and had our delicious sandwiches our moms packed and drank some cool soda. We came out parting the flaps and lo! Guess what we saw! Our tall friend came to the edge of the game park and was peering down the wall, at our tent. Was there a longing for human company in its eyes? Its tallness facilitated our friend to rise above the six feet wall.

We ran to the wall and each offered an apple to our spotted friend. Oh! It was awesome! It bent down its head and took the apples right across the wall and munched them making crunchy sounds.

We were sure we made great friends with the spectacular and The window

It was the final day of the European tour. Nisha enjoyed the sights and sounds, people and foods that the various countries and cities offered.

They arrived in Venice last night after having had the great experience of the Vatican and the Pope. Rome was wonderful.

As Nisha got up from her comfortable hotel bed, the side window offered a beautiful early morning blue sky. She walked to the window, looked out, and sighed in wonder at the incredible sight that nature alone could put together.

The sky wore a thick blue mantle, and the sea a lighter one mixed with that pleasant aquamarine. Dark or light nature shines equally beautiful and effervescent thought Nisha.  The shoreline was a long white ribbon with many a bend in between. Nisha observed a breakwater bridge at a distance and the tall buildings beyond it looked far away and forlorn.

Nisha startled when a speedboat just passed by letting out a jet of white sea foamy water. It mixed and matched with the sea blue.

The sun started a slow ascent and the day became bluer. The slanting early morning rays dispelled the fog and mist promising a clear, warm, and bright day.

Nisha thrilled with joy and warmth spreading all over body and soul.
lively looking animal. I couldn’t wait to talk about it with my friends and our teacher.
© Copyright 2011 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722458-Our-tall-friend-Giraffe