*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729089-Journal-7-Language-Identity-Tree
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #1789324
Required journal entries for Language and Culture class at Baker
#729089 added August 14, 2011 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
Journal 7: Language Identity Tree
1. Make a list of the speech communitites of which you are currently a memeber.
2. Create a tree where you are the trunk and each speech community is a separate branch.
3. For each branch, note the following:
a. influential members
b. context of community (family, social, church, etc.)
c. description of membership (gender, race/ethnicity, origin, education, etc.)
d. language traditions (how do you communicate, how much do you communicate, who does the most of the talking, what do you talk about, do you speak "standard" english, do you use a dialect, do you speak slang (in written or oral usage), do you read often (for what purpose), etc.)
4. At the base of your tree, write a brief paragraph reflecting on your own identity through your asssociation with these speech communities.


*Leaf*Church familyThe Baxters*Leaf*
*Leaf*Pastor Don (most influential) *Leaf*
*Leaf*and Kim Letson*Leaf*
*Leaf*Kathy*Leaf*
*Leaf*Julie and AJ*Leaf*
*Leaf*membership by religious belief*Leaf*
*Leaf*Language traditions: call everyone brother/sister/read bible often*Leaf*
*Leaf*speak to eachother usually only in church, but visit the sick and those in hospitals
*Leaf*
*LeafBr*Relations by bloodAudre,Dylan, Deserae, Alexia,*LeafBr*
*LeafBr*Mom, Dad, Many Aunts and Uncles*LeafBr*
*LeafBr*Jennifer (most influential), Jimmy*LeafBr*
*LeafBr*membership by blood*LeafBr*
*LeafBr*language traditions: chow for goodbye, say "I love you more because I'm bigger"*LeafBr*
*LeafBr*talk often about our family relations and life*LeafBr*
*LeafBr*speak in other languages what words are known
*LeafBr*

*LeafG*Workthe boss, the blond, the guy with the curly hair that shaved it off (how sad)*LeafG*
*LeafG*the guy who knows everything, the quiet girl who secretly got married,*LeafG*
         *LeafG*the one who never wants to leave,*LeafG*
                   *LeafG*the unsure, the new guy*LeafG*
                                                 *LeafG*the girl that is always busy*LeafG*
                                                                               *LeafG*the one that creeps me out*LeafG*
*LeafG*the customers*LeafG*

*Woman*Jeanette Schaaf *Woman*

*Woman**Woman**Woman**Woman**Woman*
*Woman**Woman**Woman**Woman**Woman*


It is interesting to analyze the relationship of speech communities. I see that there are different topics of conversation with each speech community. I think if I extended my tree out further to professional communities, friends, strangers or acquaintances, that the manner I spoke would change as well. I don't see myself changing to fit into the communities, but rather I have different ways of speech association with the different communities. Saying one thing in one community will have a different impact in another community. There are more slang sayings and actions in the family relations branch than any other branch. I can see that language is also more fun in the family relations branch rather than just a form of communication. I don't see how written and oral are different for each group though. The only group that I can think of how a difference could be possible is with the work branch. I speak informally to coworkers, but write formally when needed.


307 words
© Copyright 2011 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729089-Journal-7-Language-Identity-Tree