*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730473-Silent-Inflation
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#730473 added August 3, 2011 at 9:56am
Restrictions: None
Silent Inflation
Silent Inflation

Occasionally I go to the “Stats” on my blog, entering from my Port page. There are a host of interesting statistics and as you scroll down you get to the URL section at the bottom which lists all the URLs that have visited the blog. I am not sure how it works exactly but it seems that the last place a viewer was before he/she visited your blog is what gets displayed on the screen. Maybe somebody knows better how this works and if you do please educate me. Anyway I always click on the URL’s and then comment positively on their blog or review something in their port.

It’s another sultry day and I’m reminded of the song.

Summer time, and the living is easy
Fish are jumping and the cotton is high.
Your daddy’s rich and your mama’s good looking
Don’t cry little baby
Don’t… you cry.

One of these mornings I’m gonna rise up singing
Spread my wings and reach to the sky.
Until that morning there’s nobody can harm you
Don’t cry little darling
Don’t… you cry.

My memory is not perfect and if I misquoted the song writer please attribute it to an imperfect memory.

The talk of the media is the deal that has been struck between the Republicans and Democrats on the budget. I try and steer clear of political commentary so will let that dog lie. I hope for the good of this country though that we get the fiscal house in order.

I think that senior citizens fail to realize that their savings have been raided for the past three years of possibly thirty percent of their value. There has been inflation taking place that has been inaccurately reported as rising food costs and energy are not part of the calculation. The question I have that never gets addressed is what is the total value of the country and how is that wealth distributed. My hunch is that seniors control a big piece of it in savings accounts and are the real bill payers when the government silently devalues by printing too much money. One thing is for certain. Retirees with savings and investments are not living on the interests and dividends. They are having to reach deep into the principle. That’s fine I suppose if you don’t live too long or have to depend on socialized medicine.

What we are doing to the next generation of workers and their families is a travesty. You can really see it in the rural areas where working Americans are hurting and the out of work are coming to the end of the 99 week unemployment benefits. What a pickle we have gotten ourselves into.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730473-Silent-Inflation