*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730987-Chapter-6-Profitable-Errands
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(425)
by AJVega
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1484938
Space pirates must save the universe with help from the daughter of the last living AI...
#730987 added August 8, 2011 at 2:38pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6: Profitable Errands
Dagiri was dressed in formal attire; his long suit was jet black, with a cape draping down the back, and highlights of crimson red running through it. That he carried a stun whip in one hand would have seemed an unusual enough accessory to his outfit, but the fact that his other hand carried a severed leg seemed even more so.


The whip made Dagiri feel in control. He hovered over the wild beast, projecting his authority to it. Nellie’s eyes glared at him, as if attempting to size him up. He snapped the whip in her face, stopping short of actually striking her snout. The electrical snap sent her jumping back, and she let out a gurgling sound that would pass for a yelp.


He stifled a smile, not wanting to show any positive emotion to Nellie, but, God, the beast was always a sight to behold. A genetically engineered toy of his—part tiger, part lizard—Nellie’s scales and serpentine tail hinted at its reptilian pedigree. Around its neck, though, it had orange fur with black stripes and its face was like that of a tiger, with fangs protruding from its snout.


Dagiri motioned with the whip to a corner of the office. Nellie cautiously skulked over to it as instructed.


“Very good!” Dagiri said, tossing the severed leg to her. “Good girl!”


Nellie caught the snack with her paw and began chewing on it. A snap resounded as it cracked the bone inside the flesh.


“Now stay!” Dagiri instructed.


He then walked over to a holographic projector, laying the whip on his desk. He stood patiently, waiting for it to come alive. Soon a man’s face materialized in the air. The man gave an annoyed look as he raised his eyebrows.


“I am sorry, Mr. Dagiri.” The man’s voice betrayed his apathy. “Although your mining operation is profitable and has maintained a positive cash flow, you do not have enough total assets on file to warrant a loan of this magnitude. There is simply too much risk for such an outlay. And without the loan you cannot afford to buy the controlling stake in my company.”


Dagiri tried to keep his composure, but he had waited hours for this decision, and the waiting had cut into his Elation time.


“You know, Mr. Kravis,” Dagiri said to the image of the Director hovering before him. “I am sure if you put forth enough effort, you could secure me this loan. I have a great deal of influence and pull in various circles of both business and government. I think it would be not only beneficial in the long run for us both, but it would certainly be in your best interest. You need to secure this loan even if it means an initial loss on your end.”


Kravis chuckled. “Who the hell do you think you are, Dagiri? I am a businessman; if there is no profit in it for me, then there is nothing more to discuss. Unless, of course, there are undeclared assets you wish to put on the table now?”


“No,” Dagiri said, sneering.


“Then I’m afraid there is nothing more to discuss,” Kravis said.


Dagiri began to turn away from the hologram, then stopped halfway, looking thoughtful.


“You should know, Mr. Kravis,” Dagiri said. “There are things in life that even you may find more important than profit.”


The hologram smiled. “Really, Dagiri? And would that be?”


“Your health.” Dagiri returned the smile.


The other man kept his smile for a moment, then his expression turned sour. “Good night, Mr. Dagiri,” he said, and the hologram vanished.


Dagiri walked over to his desk and sat down. The meeting had not gone as he had hoped. His entanglements in the drug syndicate clearly made it difficult to diversify into legitimate operations.


He really wanted to get his hands on MK Enterprises; they were a former defense contractor now manufacturing 30 percent of UEP Enforcement’s vehicles and arms, and 10 percent of the Martian Confederation’s. He had inside information that they were on the verge of securing a deal with the Martian Confederation that would boost sales two-fold. This was likely the reason Director Kravis was so reluctant to take a deal; he knew he would have other, higher-paying suitors if the deal went through.


Dagiri heard a chime at his office doorway; he pushed a button on his desk and the doors opened.


Steve walked in, with a data pad in hand. Nellie let out a growl and Steve stopped cold.


“Don’t worry,” Dagiri said. “That’s a fat leg she’s chewing on—even fatter than yours.”


Steve gulped and quickly took a seat across from Dagiri—his eyes never turning away from Nellie as he sat down.


“How did the meeting go?” Steve said.


“Not well. I’m having trouble convincing Director Kravis that it is in his best interest to cooperate. I will have to keep working on him; it would help if I had something on him. How are the hackers doing?”


“That’s why I’m here. They are doing reasonably well. They have taken control of various government systems and some smaller corporations. Unfortunately, the larger corporations have proven to be more elusive. They seem to employ much tighter security controls.”


“Who have they specifically targeted?” Dagiri said.


“They have been mostly concerned with the top three: Omega Research, Luna Interstellar, and Cyberwave. They believe they have hit an obstacle in the area of encryption and are requesting the addition of a specific member to help. They have someone in mind—calls himself ‘The Doc.’”


He handed Dagiri his data pad. Dagiri inspected the information.


“I’ve had him checked out,” Steve said. “He’s an ex-con who was just recently released. He was in for various cyber-terrorist acts. Apparently, he is very good.”


“Not good enough to avoid being caught.” Dagiri handed back the pad. “Recruit him anyway. Arrange a death, though. Clone him and dump the clone body in a river somewhere. I don’t want Enforcement looking for him.”


“Won’t be a problem,” Steve said.


“Good. Another thing, I want one of those top three corporations under our control. I need something to use as ammunition against Kravis. We are going to make our first steps up the corporate ladder, and we’re not going to make it by doing things the nice way. We need to be more ruthless than the rest of those corpers.”


“Understood,” Steve said.


“Steve, if we don’t get results from this bunch, start eliminating the least talented ones. There is still plenty of untapped talent in Thyle we could use as replacements.”


Steve looked a bit uneasy. “Well, yes, if it comes to that. I think it’s too early to start thinking that way; they are making good progress. It could take a lot of time to get anyone new up to speed.”


“I need tangible results,” Dagiri said. “I’m giving them a week. If they haven’t taken control of one of the top three’s systems, we start eliminating.”


“I think you underestimate the complexity of this, Jack. We need to be more patient; this can take time.”


“Steve, this is not up for discussion, so get out of here.” Dagiri motioned him away.


Steve rose and hurried out of the room, leaving Dagiri alone with Nellie.


If Steve did not get the desired results from the hackers, it would be bad for his future. Perhaps if Dagiri made him an Elation addict, he could be more productive. And if after becoming thoroughly addicted he was still useless, Dagiri could always feed him to Nellie. His portly flesh would make a fine meal for her, Dagiri mused as he looked in the direction of his pet.


Sighing, Dagiri rubbed his temples. He felt the sharp pains of a headache, and his muscles ached. Definitely time for his fix.


He reached into a drawer and pulled out his Elation gun. He pressed it again his neck and injected himself.


The rush of the Elation made everything feel right: the soreness in his muscles disappeared, as did the headache. The room spun for a brief moment and he felt bathed in an invisible aura. The aura went through him and mixed into his core. It seemed that his blood boiled and that time stood still for that moment. His skin felt as if it was made of armor and nothing could hurt him; his limbs felt light as a feather.


The initial rush left him, but the invigorating affect and effect were still there. His mind felt sharp and his resolve strengthened. Nothing would stand in the way of his destiny.


 


*****


 


Elysium, the capital of Mars, stood as the hub of the Martian economy. The small city was a dense metropolis of buildings and interconnecting crosswalks. Hovercars darted across the cityscape carrying both tourists and businesspersons alike.


An atmospheric dome, the largest ever built, encased the city, protecting its inhabitants from the harsh elements outside. Above the dome, landing platform structures provided the docking facilities for trade transports. The platforms provided free docking facilities to any trade ships: a benefit that attracted many businesses and helped turn Elysium into the commercial hub of Mars.


The entire city comprised various levels that continued invisibly underground. Each level used an intricate web of crosswalks that lead to the varying building complexes. The lower levels just above ground were all corporation owned. The middle levels mainly consisted of shops catering to the tourists, while the higher levels were government buildings owned by the Martian Confederacy.


Despite the importance of the city, most tourists only remembered Elysium as simply the place you passed along the way to New Las Vegas. A public, underground tunnel system led all inhabitants into New Las Vegas, located several miles beneath the city and extending well beyond the area that encompassed the atmospheric dome above.


From one of the many crosswalks in Elysium, Reece stood overlooking the city with arms resting on the rail in front of him. A multitude of lights glittered across the many structures in his view. He looked down below, into the descending levels, and saw the constant motion of the city inhabitants. The crosswalks teemed with people, which from this distance looked like ants scurrying across a branch.


He elevated his gaze to the crisscrossing traffic of hovercars and public shuttles slashing across the cityscape. Allowing his gaze to follow one shuttle, Reece watched as it landed at one of the lower landing platforms. Out of the shuttle, the passengers walked out and into the building entrance. Each of them was wearing business attire; undoubtedly they were corporate employees of some sort. They would come here every day and night, being shuttled like cattle to their destination. The corporations would take them in, make them do their errands and then send them on home to partake in their brief moments of freedom.


Like the rest of his crew, Reece despised the idea of working for the corporations; he felt nauseated at the very idea of having to devote one’s life to do the bidding of a small group of fat cats who would not flinch at the notion of tossing you out the door like trash. He would never work for such a group.


Hopefully … he thought with a frown.


Ever since Reece and his pilots joined Julius’ pirate organization, he’d felt uneasy. The group did not even have a name; even Stromond’s group had a name, albeit a silly one: “The Stronghold.” But this new group had nothing … no name … and no real history that Reece knew of. It was as if they had never existed until he and the others had joined them; or perhaps they were good enough to avoid having a history—he would accept the latter.


Reece heard someone behind him. He turned to see Tash, Cronin, Taffy, Mac, and Eddie, the whole squadron, just standing there.


“Any luck?” Reece said.


“Maybe,” Tash said. “We think we recognized one of them at The Maximus.”


“All right,” Reece said, pushing himself off the railing. “Let’s go.”


The six pilots walked to the other end of the crosswalk, where they waited for the transit elevator to arrive. The elevator would descend into New Las Vegas. A small crowd stood waiting ahead of them.


A holographic image appeared above the elevator doors in front of the crowd. The image, along with an audio commentary, depicted how New Las Vegas was carved out of the Martian earth. A topographical map appeared, showing the barren landscape of the past before any construction; nothing was there, not even the grand city of Elysium. The hologram then showed the landing of the first transports and the unloading of machinery and men, who began tunneling into the ground. The hologram time-lapsed forward years at a time, showing the landscape morphing into the beginnings of what became the transit point to the first underground base at Mars. Many years later, as other parts of Mars began to grow, the underground base became New Las Vegas, and the land above the base became Elysium.


Reece turned away from the hologram impatiently. He soon heard the hum of the elevator approaching. The doors opened and the crowd began to pile in, Reece and his pilots among them. Inside, the elevator’s walls were made of transparent metal, giving the passengers a scenic route down into the underground city. Reece watched the crosswalks and shuttles of Elysium fade away above them as the elevator passed through the underground shaft.


Reece felt them move through darkness for a good minute before coming to an unexpected halt. He heard a mechanical sound outside, but the doors remained closed. After a moment, the elevator began to move again, appearing to descend further down.


“That’s normal,” Reece heard a passenger say. “The elevator had to move to a new shaft.”


The elevator dropped from the darkness of the underground shaft into the brightness of a huge chamber teeming with colorful lights. Reece had to squint for a second to take in the splendor of what was New Las Vegas.


The ground was covered with tightly packed buildings, each structure boasting its own glamorous lighting, along with holographic images advertising the facilities within: from gambling and lodging to more erotic services. A hologram depicting a starlit night sky painted the ceiling rock above: an illusion hiding the underbelly of Elysium.


The elevator approached what looked like the end of the shaft. Instead of slowing, the elevator shot out of the shaft and entered free fall. Some of the passengers gasped as they appeared to be ready to crash into the ground. However, an invisible force seemed to grab the elevator and slow it down— stopping in midair.


One of the passengers chuckled.


“They always get first-time visitors with that,” Reece heard him say. “The elevator has anti-gravity motors.”


The elevator carried them above numerous buildings, pausing by each to allow the passengers an opportunity to digest the advertisements they displayed—  each trying to woo customers with the services available at each establishment.


After many passes, the elevator tour ended with it setting down near a major walkway at ground level. The doors opened and they exited into a pleasant temperature and breathable air. The other passengers went their separate ways, leaving the six pilots on their own, standing on the walkway together.


Reece looked around at the multitude of buildings and people, trying to digest it all. He turned to his pilots, catching Tash’s smirk.


“Never been here, eh?” Tash said.


Reece shook his head. “No. I mean, I’ve been to the one on Earth, but not this.”


“This one’s twice the size of Earth’s, and twice the fun,” Tash said.


“Only if you’ve the money, lad,” Mac said.


“Right,” Reece said. “Let’s get to The Maximus before our ‘brother’ decides to leave or blows all his money.”


The group followed Tash, who led them through the crowded walkways and crosswalks to The Maximus, one of the largest and perhaps most bizarre-looking casinos around, from what Reece could tell.


Styled after the ancient Roman architecture of Earth, the entryway of The Maximus featured great stone pillars and Greek statues adorning both sides. An ornate stone archway greeted the visitors at the entrance. A hologram covered the center of the archway, hiding the other side behind an illusory starfield. As people exited The Maximus, they appeared to be stepping out of the black curtain of stars.


Tash led the group through the illusion and onto the other side. Inside, Reece saw that The Maximus looked even more outrageous. The walls were made of polished, white stone, with intricately crafted pillars reaching up into the ceiling. The floors were a glistening white marble that reflected the lighting around them.


Farther ahead, Reece could see what was labeled the Coliseum, where it appeared that mock battles took place between holographic gladiators. On top of it all, holograms of Roman soldiers walked among the guests, brandishing authentic-looking weapons and armor.


Along the walls, Reece saw the only visible sign of modern technology: evenly-spaced terminals with controls to give spectators the ability to zoom in and around the battles in the arena from any perspective. From here, they could pick their champion, make their bets, and watch the blood sport action.


Reece could see a mob of gamblers betting on one of the battles. He slowed down to look at the holographic relay of the battle. The gladiators’ chests bore the logos of the UEP and Confed. They slashed and lunged with their blades, sending droplets of blood and sweat onto the sand under their feet. The sound of steel against steel reverberated against the backdrop of the audience’s cheering for the illusory blood sport.


One of the gladiators tackled the other, pushing him against the arena wall, close to a group of seated onlookers. Taking advantage of his position, he bashed his shield against the other’s weapon, flinging it to the ground, then raised his sword and slashed diagonally across his foe’s belly—slicing through the UEP logo. An exaggerated eruption of blood and entrails shot out of the foe and covered the Confed gladiator.


The victor then gripped his sword with both hands and slashed across his opponent’s neck, decapitating his foe. As the crowd cheered, the gladiator knelt down to pick up the imaginary head and flung it toward the seats. Before landing onto the crowd, it exploded in midair—leaving the logo of the Martian Confederacy hovering in the air. A dealer walked into the casino proper and then delivered credits to the winning gamblers.


Reece turned away from the matches and lead the pilots across the marble floors to the other side of the casino, following the round passage of the outer section. They reached an opening that led out into the arena seating. Reece estimated about twenty thousand seats, with most of them filled. Tash tapped Reece on the shoulder and pointed to an area of seats where a lone patron sat.


The pilots sat themselves around their target, Reece sitting the closest to him. The man briefly glanced at the pilots and then gave a derisive snort.


“Hello, recruits,” he said.


Reece looked at Tash, but he just shrugged in return.


“How do you know who we are?” Reece asked.


“I know a lot of things,” the pirate said. “I know that you’re probably looking for one of us because you’ve pissed all your money away.”


“You have us at a bit of a disadvantage,” Reece said. “Since you know who we are, what’s your name?”


“Recker,” he said. “Just call me Recker. I’m an engineer, and I work under Murdock. And besides you guys, I’m the only one who hasn’t left yet.”


“Left?” Reece said. “Already? Where’d they go?”


Recker snorted again.


“You don’t know shit about this boat do you?” Recker said. “The crew has a habit of pissing their credits away. Bad bets, lady action, drinking… it’s pretty inevitable really. They’re cooped up on a ship for months, earning credits they can’t spend— and the minute they put down at a pleasure port, what do you think happens?”


“They piss it away…” Tash said.


“Yeah, just like you guys,” Recker said. “I think the Captain and his queen probably do it on purpose—keeps the crew from deserting altogether—gott’a have money to live after all. Does that sound like a predicament you can relate to?”


“Err, yeah…” Reece said.


“Yeah well maybe for you and your bunch—but not me. I’m on a lucky streak and I’ll be leaving this cave with more credits than what I came in with. As usual.”


Reece cleared his throat.


“Well, brother,” Reece said, “maybe you can help us and share a little of your good fortune? We’ll pay you back once we get our first payday…”


“Well, maybe you don’t have to worry about paying me back in credits.”


“Oh,” Reece said with a small smile. “That’s mighty nice of you, brother. We really appreciate that.”


Recker snorted. “Enough with the ‘brother’ shit—you haven’t earned it. And I’m not giving you anything for free; there is a price.”


“Fine, then. Let’s cut the bullshit. What do you want?” Reece said.


Recker turned away from the fighting below just as a gladiator went down; he looked deliberately at each of the pilots.


“I can pay you 500 credits a piece,” Recker said. “But you have to do a job for me. It’s a job I’m supposed to do for one of the bosses. It will be risky, but I think you rookies can handle it. Interested?”


“Rookies?” Tash growled.


Reece put his hand up to silence Tash.


“Fine,” Reece said. “What’s the job?”


© Copyright 2011 AJVega (UN: ajv73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AJVega has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730987-Chapter-6-Profitable-Errands