*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731244
Rated: E · Book · Community · #1800942
New Horizons Journal-
#731244 added August 11, 2011 at 12:37pm
Restrictions: None
8.11.11 Listen to others not yourself
Quote of the Day:
There are people who, instead of listening to what is being said to them, are already listening to what they are going to say themselves.
-Albert Guinon (1863 - 1923)


The truth in this quote makes me laugh and at the same time makes my heart ache. I mostly ache. To see this played out in its truest form just turn on cnn, hln, or fox news. Watch the talking heads debate with each other. They do not listen to each other. Their opinions are formed and are incapable of changing because the talking heads are only concerned about voicing their opinions, not listening to the opinions of others. Of course, this is not a problem only with talking heads. It is a problem with all politicians. That is why countries go into standstills. No one wants to hear the other's point of view. Their point of view is the only one that matters.

So, what does this have to do with writing. A lot! There are some readers who open a book, or a poem but is not willing to listen to the authors words.  They already have a preconceived notion that the author is a bad author or a good author. This type of reader only reads what he/she wants to read. I have seen this on WDC. I have seen great authors write a poem/story with errors, yet receive perfect reviews. The readers were not listening to the poem/story, but rather, thinking more about a stunning review for the great author. Then there is the instance, of what I have been guilty of in the past, of reading a poem/story with a low rating. The reader automatically goes into the poem/story thinking it is a bad poem/story. They do not read the poem/story at face value, but rather look for the errors. This should not be. The poem/story could have been edited since the low rating or the rating could not have been a true impression of the poem/story. When reading a poem/story it should be read without any preconceived notions. That is the only way to really listen to what the author is saying.




"A Poem A Day Contest
Itchy Water signature
** Image ID #1756829 Unavailable **






© Copyright 2011 Itchy Water~fictionandverse (UN: deannarich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Itchy Water~fictionandverse has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731244