*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731483-Journal-11-Hate-Language
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #1789324
Required journal entries for Language and Culture class at Baker
#731483 added August 13, 2011 at 11:54pm
Restrictions: None
Journal 11: Hate Language
Does hate language in rap and other forms of media perpetuate negative stereotypes?

I remember growing up to MC Hammer, the Beastie Boys, and rappers from that time. I do not understand how rap can be corrupted by hate language. Gangster rap does not leave me with any positive feelings after I hear it. I do not understand it can do anything but perpetuate negative stereotypes. I understand the need to write about and sing about real life, and violence is real life. It seems to me thought that instead of being an outlet and form of expression about dealing with those issues in life it is more of a way to brag about what crimes were committed and what gang is going to do what to another gang. That is the type of songs that tv series make shows from. I remember watching a show about a song that sung that described the murder of a girl exactly how it happened. There was a fad going around with those who killed for gangs writing songs about how they did it and then singing them. I don't see how that is anything but negative. That is negative for rap music and media stereotyping. Music used to be about the music itself, about the craft, not about the bragging rights that it brought to a bunch of gangs and thieves, and woman abusers. Rap music is more than just a stereotype of negativity. It is offensive to anyone who is female and to anyone trying to raise children with values that are long forgotten in society. Media, including tv shows and commercials are just as degrading to women and to family values.

268 words
© Copyright 2011 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731483-Journal-11-Hate-Language