*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733041
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1807216
Fantasy flash fiction stories, limit of 1000 words each.
#733041 added September 2, 2011 at 9:16am
Restrictions: None
04 - Governance
"Are you really leaving?"

Rishnu glanced over to where Fedelia hovered in his door. "Yes." He contemplated his bookcase. "I have a bit of extra room in my pack," he said, waving at the satchel on his bed. "Want to help me choose a couple of books to take along?"

"Why are you leaving?"

He ignored her question. "I've already decided on Lunar Influences on Alchemical Flora, but I can't choose between Karlson's Memoirs of Varselian Politics or Huntley's Juxtaposition."

"How about Yoon's Studies in Treachery?"

He turned to face her, his eyes cold. "I am no traitor."

"No? What would you call this then?"

"Stopping Alden from destroying his country?"

Her fists clenched. "My brother is a good man!"

"Your brother is an excellent man," he said. "He has saved my life many a time. But," he continued, "good men do not guarantee good governance."

Her voice was bitter. "So it's true then. You're leaving because you want to be king."

He shook his head. "No. I'm leaving because I want him to be king. And he will not."

"He says that the people deserve the right to choose their own rulers."

Rishnu made a noise of disgust. "What have they done to deserve anything? Where were they when we fought the Emperor? Where were they when Sylvan Reach and Roseport fell?" His voice dropped, heavy with contempt. "Where were they when our soldiers froze to death in winter, because no town or village would aid us? Or when our men either starved or marched barefoot after boiling the leather of their boots for food?" He took a shuddering breath. "Don't talk to me about what those peasants deserve, Fedelia."

Silence fell. Finally, "You sound as though you hate them, Rishnu."

His shoulders slumped and he sighed, rubbing one hand over his eyes. "No. I don't hate them. I believed in Alden's revolution. I still do. The Empire was corrupt to the core, and we were right to overthrow it. But this new... government that Alden has set up... this -- what did he call it? -- this republic?" He snorted. "It's folly, Fedelia."

"He says it is the right thing to do, that he didn't topple the Emperor to take his place. He says the people should be free."

Rishnu chuckled, sounding tired. "It's a pretty idea, Fedelia, but peasants don't want to be free. They don't know how. Freedom means nobody telling them what to do. Freedom means responsibility. For centuries they've depended on the nobility to tell them how to think, what to believe. I doubt they're going to be grateful to Alden for destroying that stability and insisting they replace it with something of their own creation."

"They need time, Rishnu."

Rishnu gazed unseeing at his books. After a long moment, he said, "Have you seen this 'Parliament' that they've elected? Most are nobles, each of whom would be only too happy to seize power for himself. And the rest? A few merchants and commoners. If the latter can read, I would be much surprised. The lot of them couldn't agree on when to have lunch, much less how to govern. Already they squabble like children."

"And you're leaving. Alden is counting on your help, but instead you're running away."

Rishnu gave her a hard look. "You know me better than that. I never run."

"Then why?" she burst out. "Why leave?"

He tilted his head in thought, then asked, "What do you think will happen were an army to march against Alden's government now?"

She frowned. "He would fight."

"With what?" Rishnu asked. "He dissolved his forces after the nobility implied that he might use them to pressure the legislature into passing laws without due debate. And then he agreed not to raise new soldiers without Parliamentary approval."

She chewed on her lip, then shook her head. "That may be true, but Alden will find a way. My brother isn't someone who would just give up if something threatened his people."

Rishnu smiled with genuine fondness. "I know. He might be idealistic to a fault, but when push comes to shove, Alden knows how to be ruthless. He'll do what needs doing to protect his country, even if he has to ride roughshod over the very government he created."

Fedelia draw in a sharp breath and stared, wide-eyed. "That's what you're going to do, isn't it?" she whispered. "You're going to force him to take control."

"Left on his own, Alden will not rule. He would attempt compromise and bow to the will of Parliament, no matter how ultimately detrimental that might be." Rishnu plucked a book from the shelf, tossing it onto his bed. "Tell you brother that I'm heading north, to the Talmeron mountains. The strongest of the Emperor's former supporters have gathered there, biding their time." He strapped his pack shut and hefted it. A brief hesitation, then he looked up and met Fedelia's eyes. "Tell him that I'm going to rally an army, Fedelia, and that if he isn't ready by the time I march them down, I will destroy everything he is trying to build."

Tears shone in her eyes, but she held his gaze. "He will never forgive you."

Rishnu paused, then simply nodded.

"And I'm not sure if I will either."

Rishnu stared at her a moment before looking away. "Your brother is my best friend, Fedelia. And you..." He approached, raising one hand as though to caress her cheek. She stiffened, and he let his hand fall. "You are the most precious thing in the world to me."

"Rishnu..."

"Shh..." He bent down and planted a kiss on her brow. "Stay safe, Fedelia. Tell your brother to ready his army; remind him what he once told me about protecting what's important." He stepped back, then brushed by her to reach the door. Looking back, he managed one last smile. "Try not to think too poorly of me."

And then he was gone.

***

Word count: 996
© Copyright 2011 silverfeathers (UN: silverfeathers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
silverfeathers has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733041