*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733404-Writingcom-and-me
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1569450
6.8.09 I will Blog
#733404 added September 6, 2011 at 11:08am
Restrictions: None
Writing.com and me
I don't know how I heard about WDC but I am so thankful I took the time to create a identity and to begin to enter contests. They were tentative and I had some pretty tough reviews. There were times in those early days that the reviews were so awful I wanted to quit. I shot back justifications of why I wrote as I did, and got the brush off. I have subsequently learned that not all reviewers are as mean and forthcoming. I found that there were reviewers that tore my work apart yet showed me what was wrong. I worked at making my pieces tight, concise and more directed to the point of the prompt.





After winning a few contests and taking a Novel class, I feel that I grew as a writer. I am still a frightened writer inside, but I am not afraid to step out and try something new. I am working on a project that I feel like a new recruit trying to scale a 20' wall with a rope. The task is daunting, the means is there but not the strength. The due date is coming and nothing I have written is what I want.





My favorite places to find readings are Shameless Plug page and once in a while I will peruse the newbies page. I read things sent to me for review which is an awesome request. I try to be helpful and positive. Sometimes a writer is so married to their work that they cannot take any criticism. I understand and let it go. I have been that way in the past.





When I lost my job and didn't have work for two years, WDC kept me sane! I poured myself into my stories and submitted to many contests. What a crutch WDC became to me. Writing and reading kept my mind active. When my husband was out of town for weeks at a time I was at my computer from sun up to sun down.





Now I have a new job, thank the Lord, and I still love checking out WDC a number of times each week. I can't devote the time to it that I would like, but I know its there. Just a few clicks away and I can read a story, write a short story for a contest or just add my thoughts to a page.





Thank you Writing.Com for being there, for holding me up when I thought my world was falling around me. You have saved me in spite of myself.
© Copyright 2011 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733404-Writingcom-and-me