*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/736274
Rated: 18+ · Book · Mythology · #1814126
Book for my "October NaNoWriMo Prep" project!
#736274 added October 9, 2011 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
October 5th: Marketing Exercise
Eve of the Gods is a mixture of Neil Gaiman and Jane Austen, thus designed to appeal to either or both of these authors' readerships. For the Austenites among us, I have wit and satirical language, with a healthy dose of romance and the "WTF have I done" moment characteristic of just about all of Miss Austen's work. And for those of us (myself included) who adore Neil Gaiman, I have imagined the world we live in in a different way. Literature, mythology, and history all come together in a story that is both fantastical and yet character drive and rather realistic. Gods are real, just as they are in American Gods, and I have a character that is more than she seems. The adventure is the making of her, and Lyn comes to realize that she is more than even she could have guessed.

I have infused my story with history, which is my first love, and so this novel should appeal to anyone who also has a healthy love of history and historically-based stories. It is also filled with and based on ancient myths and Jewish lore. I did a lot of research into Biblical history, as well, in dealing with Lucifer and the development of said character.

This story should also appeal to anyone who loves a good romance, and a story of redemption for a misunderstood entity. Some people will also like this because it is controversial and takes a different look at well-known historical and religious tropes. So the "Da Vinci Code" crowd should like this, as well, though I'm certainly not claiming that Jesus married the Magdalene and had a baby. Mostly, Lucifer isn't a bad guy and he isn't Satan, which is true if you look at Jewish text, anyway. I could go really deep into the lesson, but Lucifer is Latin for Morning Star and Lucifer became equated with Satan when Christian scholars decided that the Isaiah proverb (oh star of the morning, how thou art fallen, etc) meant something more than the Jews intended it to mean. (Damn you, early Christian scholars!)

But yeah...take wit, sarcasm, romance, and religion...as well as the gods (especially Hermes, my favorite, with a cameo from Loki) and put them into one novel. It should make people laugh, think, and get warm fuzzies all at once. Plus, it'd make a most excellent movie. I call Emma Stone for the role of Evelyn, as long as she stays a red-head. She doesn't have the curves, but she has the looks and the attitude and that's ALL THAT MATTERS.


Just in case you don't know what she looks like:
http://varolmak.com/emma-stone/emma-stone_0158.jpg
© Copyright 2011 Professor Q (UN: rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Professor Q has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/736274