*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/736842
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1810186
For she who forgets must now remember her tale...
#736842 added October 13, 2011 at 5:57pm
Restrictions: None
Day 9: Sing-a-Long time!
Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place.
Even your emotions had an echo
In so much space.


WORD COUNT: 610

"So this is the Twilight?" Lyn glanced around her, eyes wide. She and Hermes had, just a second ago, walked through an arch in New York City and ended up...in crazy town.

"Only the Greek Courts," Hermes replied. "Hence the columns and grapes. I could access the other courts if I wanted to, but it would take more of my power and waste a little too much of our time. If you want, I can bring you back some time and take you to visit everyone else. But...later."

This is crazy, this is crazy...I think I'm crazy. Lyn stared, amazed, as creatures from her imagination flew and danced around her. "Is...is that...?"

"Echo? Yeah. Poor thing." Shaking his head sadly, Hermes grabbed Lyn's hand and pulled her onward. "Listen, you don't really want to stay here that long. It's not really good for you."

"Why?"

Hermes stopped for just a second, which allowed Lyn to gaze around her. There were bubbling springs of near-silver blue, around which the most verdant of plants burst forth in a profusion of life so surprisingly wonderful that Lyn's mortal mind could barely grasp it. A woman turned into a tree and back again, skin every color imaginable, changing with every blink of the eye. Out of the water came a man who was suddenly and quite surprisingly a horse.

"Because all of this feeds on you, my darling Eve," Hermes replied. "And you more than most." He pulled at her arm, tugging her along the path.

"Why me?" Lyn practically jogged forward to keep up with her divine friend, whose mortal appearance was melting away before her to reveal the god beneath. Wings appeared on head and sandal, and in his hand a staff entwined with two snakes. Faster and faster he ran until the world around them was only a blur and Lyn could no longer feel her feet touching the ground.

"Because you believe in them, Eve. You really, truly believe in them. Who do you think you are, Eve? Just some random human wandering with a god through the Twilight?" Hermes laughed as he ran. "You believe. You are their genesis, love. If they take too much notice of you, they'll never let you go. And, trust me, you don't want that to happen."

"Oh. I guess I really don't want that then. That would definitely suck major monkey balls."

"What?"

"Nothing. Just let me know when you're ready to land this thing. I'm kind of getting dizzy." Lyn laughed. "I mean, it's exhilarating and all, but since I can't see anything, I'd really rather get out of here if it's alright with you. Wait...will that be every time I come in here? Or just this time?"

"Um...well, pretty much every time. I was kind of hoping you'd forget about the promise to bring you back. I am the god of liars and thieves, too, and never forget that." Hermes looked back at her, never letting go of her hand, never slowing down. "Sorry, love."

Lyn rolled her eyes. "Of course you are. And of course my guide has a pathological need to lie to people...even his friends!"

"Hey, it was only a little lie! Usually I tell very, very big lies. You should be happy, you know. Plus, we're going to see Lucifer. He hardly ever lies. At least not as long as I've known of him...and that's a pretty long time."

"Now I know I'm crazy." Lyn laughed. "I'm with a god of lies on my way to see the Father of Lies, who doesn't actually lie, and the god only tells little lies...I am definitely crazy."
© Copyright 2011 Professor Q (UN: rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Professor Q has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/736842