*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/742706-Lesson-003-Creating-Your-World
Rated: 18+ · Book · Death · #1834889
Story about a beloved Dragon.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#742706 added December 28, 2011 at 10:07pm
Restrictions: None
Lesson 003 Creating Your World
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor



*Burstp* Creating Your World *Burstp*




010 The world is like Earth but it’s not Earth. Magic and Science are basically the same thing. In a super high tech world, eventually tools and everything a person needs can be provided by some high tech device, such that people really have no idea how something is made, and they only need to know how to use it. Hence, Science turns into Magic.


020 People won't sweat the fine line between the definitions of Magic and Science. At this stage in civilization concerning Our Heros, technology appears more magical than scientific, since they don’t really know why a magical item works, only that it does.


030 There are many races or species, and they typically choose to live among their own kind. There’s no antipathy between different races although they are more likely to bear rivalries within their own kind. Where Our Heros are concerned, they are Humans who live among Humans.


040 There are many types of creatures and I’m hoping to use the more familiar forms such as Unicorns, Demons, Dragons, Griffins, Harpies, and so on, because in a Magical World, these creatures are the equivalent of livestock that wealthy and privileged folks seek.


050 Our Hero, Rider, lives in a mountainous range, high above most plateaus and very far from his neighbors (miles away). It’s vast, farely barren of greenery, and unlikely to have visitors or travelers. It’s ideal for keeping a flying dragon due to the high terrain and sparse foliage. It’s terrible for keeping a flying dragon because there’s no barrier to prevent the dragon from roaming outside of the owner’s territory.


060 The land beyond has different owners and different terrains. In the more fertile areas, the population is higher and they pay dues to the landowner.


070 From Rider’s Mountaintop, it’s not possible to see beyond the neighboring mountains. However, on the back of a flying dragon, one can quickly fly high enough to see land of other types of terrain. The mountains continue to the North. Towards the south, the forests turn tropical by degrees. The east is swampy wetlands. The west are mostly farmlands. Further west, lies the ocean and beaches.


080 Realm and World Travel requires a magical device and is very common place and frequent. Since Humans tend to flock to other Humans, pretty much this part of the planet is made up of Humans. There is low or barely any rivalry among the different species since people typically tend to seek out existence among their own kind and are quite willing to co-exist with alien species due to a deep need to conform.


090 Rider does meet Dragon Rider Elves via the use of Realm and World Travel devices. His primary motivation to hop Worlds is due to the occasional but persistant nasty entanglements with neighbors who despise Dragons flying over their territories. Usually the gripe is about disgusting, dirty droppings falling out of the sky. He hops worlds hoping that Riders in the other realm have more welcoming territories for flying dragons to roam.


100 Magical talismans, charms, spells, etc, are examples of Magical devices or tools. Depending on the purpose, reusability and rechargeability, the cost can get quite astronomical.


110 Realm and World Travel devices are very expensive. The device Rider uses to visit the Elves, actually belongs to his Middle Brother.


120 Weight Altering devices such as to lighten the load a dragon may carry on its back such as a rider are popular. Rider’s family has quite a few of the self charging devices. Depending on the degree of tipping the scales, the effect can last as little as a few minutes to several hours. The spent device takes about a day to recharge.


130 Dragon Sight devices allow one to see a little further than natural eyes can see. The spherical radius generally depends on the user’s comfort zone as it can be quite dizzying as the user toggles between natural vision, dragon’s vision, and peripheral radial vision. An experienced user can guide a flying dragon safely through an unfamiliar territory laden with obstacles with little slowing due to foresight.


140 Magical devices are common place and useful however there is a percentage of the population who can’t use or be around them. Rider’s Middle Brother can’t use Dragon Sight, although has no trouble using other Magical devices. Some extreme cases: a person has an allergy or an addiction to a particular device. Allergies can cause spells to backfire unpredictably. Addiction can cause erratic and potentially destructive, emotional and psychological behaviors.


150 Generally, one buys a Magical device from a shop or vendor. One can buy custom crafted devices from specialty crafters or mages.


160 Although such crafters or mages can be found on different worlds and any type of Magical device can be made and found on any world, its effectiveness depends on where it is used. Each Realm/ World has its own Powering Rules due to ancient technology built into the local area to allow such Magical devices to work. The Local Power Source where Rider lives, powers all the devices he owns, allowing him to Lighten his weight, see with Dragon Sight, and hop back and forth to the Elven World. However, in territories too far from the Local Power Source (or over powered by the strange territories Local Power Source), the device may cease to operate or may behave unpredictably, with side effects of exhibiting capabilities that weren’t possible before. Rider’s Realm/World Hopping Device works in both the Human World and the Elven World, allowing him to return home after visiting the Elves. It’s quite unlikely to work in any other Realm/World.


170 Names of places. Sadly, I haven’t come up with names of places.



© Copyright 2011 the last cicada (UN: deadbluesea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
the last cicada has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/742706-Lesson-003-Creating-Your-World