*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743074
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(183)
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #1802477
Rosie moves to a new town and finds out the world isn't what it seems. Please review! :)
#743074 added February 4, 2012 at 9:35pm
Restrictions: None
Dark Hallway
Rosie nearly died when Shane held the passenger door open for her.


She smiled at him, and then gratefully got in. He closed the door behind her. A moment later he came into the driver’s side. It was a cold and dark outside, and Shane’s shiny blue focus shined in the night.


He turned the radio on, and the latest pop song came blaring out. He smiled an apology and turned the volume bar down.


The first few minutes of the car ride passed in silence, but it wasn’t an awkward silence, Rosie felt surprisingly comfortable in the car with him.


“How are you feeling?” Shane asked kindly when they stopped at a traffic light.


“Feeling better now,” Rosie replied truthfully. The sick pain in her stomach had stopped when she’d left Amber’s house.


“Good.” Shane smiled at her, before going through the traffic lights.


“Do you know what might have brought it on?” Shane asked his eyes looked too serious and interested, like they were hiding something.


Rosie ignored it. “No, it was just kind of sudden.”


Shane nodded. “I think you’ve got Amber a little worried.”


“I didn’t mean to. You’re making me feel bad.”


“Sorry,” Shane said with a sincere smile. “So, you’re a new student then?”


“Yeah, since yesterday.”


“How do you like the school?”


“It’s okay, some of the teachers are a little mean though,” Rosie said.


Shane laughed. “You mean Johnson? Yeah, he is a crazy old man.”


“I wonder why,” Rosie joked, and eyed Shane.


“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Rosie,” He said innocently.


“So, how do you get into all these famous fights I’ve heard about?”


Shane looked across at her, it would have made her feel nervous, but Shane seemed to be quite a good driver. “Did you see that wimp I was fighting earlier? I wouldn’t even call it a fight.”


“Sure looked like one to me, but it was pretty obvious you were going to win.” Rosie suddenly realised what she was doing, and hoped Shane wouldn’t notice what she had said.


Shane seemed to notice the remark she made about him being obviously stronger, and she saw his smile change to amused. “Well, I do try.”


Rosie laughed; she was shocked how naturally it came when talking to him. Shane was just so easy to talk to, and really did seem like such a nice guy. She took a few seconds to check him out properly again. He was wearing the same clothes he’d had on earlier, a dark grey t-shirt that showed off his biceps and abs perfectly and dark blue jeans. His hair seemed a little more messed up than before. Rosie just wanted to run her hands through it... She shook her head once again to snap herself out of her daydream.


“What?” Shane asked, noticing her shake her head.


“Nothing,” Rosie replied, feeling her cheeks redden as he stared at her.


“I just want to say it was really nice of you to be friends with Amber. I’m sure you’ve heard the rumours spread around about her,” Shane said with a disgusted expression.


“Well, rumours are rumours, and Amber seems like such a nice girl.” Rosie ignored it when he voice shook when she said Amber’s name. She smiled at him, attempting to lighten the mood.


“Yeah, she is, the best cousin really. She didn’t do it, and she wouldn’t. I know this.” Shane shook his head, and smiled back. “I really respect it though; I just want you to know that.”


“Thank you,” Rosie said.


“Looks like this is your stop,” Shane said, pulling up on the street in front of her house.


“Yeah, this is me,” Rosie said sadly. She didn’t want to get out of the car; she wanted to stay with Shane. “Thanks for the ride.” Rosie hopped out the car, and was met by Shane who’d also gotten out.


Rosie gave him a questioning look.


“Thought I’d walk you up.” He smiled; she could have sworn he looked nervous.


“Thanks.” Rosie walked up the path and onto the small porch with Shane following closely behind her. She knocked at the door.


Oh crap, Rosie thought, Mum and Amy are going to see me with a boy.


Rosie braced herself for the incoming as Amy swung open the door. “Hey, how was your...” Amy’s voice trailed off when she saw Shane standing beside Rosie. “Hi,” Amy said, suddenly all smiley. Rosie rolled her eyes. “And you are?”


“Shane.” He smiled at Amy; Rosie could already see Amy about to...


“Mum!” Amy shouted playfully. “Rosie’s got a boy at the door!” Amy pretended to wink sweetly at Rosie. “He’s called Shane, and he’s pretty fine!”


As Shane looked over at her, she felt a blush creep up along her cheeks again, but worse. He was smiling like he found this whole thing funny. Rosie certainly didn’t.


Mum came to the door, behind her Amy stuck her tongue out at Rosie, and gave Shane a cheeky wink before heading upstairs.


“Hello,” Mum said. She gave Rosie a nervous glance, before bringing her eyes back to Shane and smiling welcomingly.


Shane fidgeted slightly beside her. “Hello, Miss. White, I’m just here to drop Rosie off. She started to feel a little bit sick at Amber’s house, and Lorraine’s having car trouble.”


Mum smiled, she seemed to have calmed down a bit now. “Well, that’s very nice of you. Did Amy say your name was Shane?”


“Yes.” Shane nodded politely.


“It’s lovely to meet you, Shane.”


Shane surprised her Mum by taking her hand and shaking it respectfully. “A pleasure to meet you too.”


Rosie smiled at Shane’s obvious parental respect. Her Mum seemed to like it too, because she noticeably beamed at him.


Shane let go of her Mum’s hand. “Right, I better be getting back home. I’ll see you around, Rosie,” he said, and winked at her as he left.


Once inside Mum asked, “So, who’s Shane?”


“Amber’s cousin,” Rosie replied, trying her best to sound as casually uninterested as she possibly could. She really didn’t need her Mum snooping around.


“He seems nice, very respectful.” Mum smiled. “Though, I’m not quite sure I’d want you dating so soon after we’ve moved here.”


“We’re not dating!” Rosie said defensively. “Really we’re not; I don’t even know the guy.”


“Okay, as long as you’re sure?”


“Yes, I’m sure.” Rosie sighed. “Look I have a ton of homework to do; I just want to go upstairs.”


“Are you feeling better then?” Mum asked, like she’d only just remembered.


“I’m fine.” Rosie smiled convincingly. “I’ll be upstairs.”


Rosie ran hastily up the stars, and collapsed onto her comfy bed. She planted her hands on her face, and let out a muffled groan.


After a few deep breaths she sat up again. Everything suddenly started running through her mind all at once, Amber, Shane, Lorraine, the book, Amber’s mysterious actions, the questions she got from all of them... It was becoming too much. They were weird, well Shane wasn’t that weird, but he had still asked her bizarre questions. Rosie didn’t understand, her mind was clouding with confusion. What had she seen on that book? A star of some kind? She couldn’t remember, but she knew it was important. Everything was just blending into one big, messy blur...





“Rosie.” She heard her name being shouted through a hallway. Where was this? Rosie looked around, it was dark, so dark, and there was barely any light in sight. It was shaped like a hallway and in the distance she could see a shadow looming. It was definitely a shadow of a man, a dark, dark shadow. Rosie didn’t understand. What was she doing here? Where was she?


“Rosie.” She heard her name being shouted once again, she couldn’t see where it was coming from. She couldn’t even tell if it was male or female. All she could see was the shape of the dark hallway, and the shadow, the shadow...


“Forget!” The word screamed, vibrating off the walls, and painfully into her ears. The shadow from the hallway had disappeared, and so had any trace of light. It was pitch black now, all she could hear was that word, over and over. The voice blended into Amber’s, then to Lorraine’s, and then finally into Shane’s. Rosie couldn’t move, she was rooted in spot. Her head felt fuzzy, their words were becoming more and more muffled. Eventually she couldn’t hear them at all, she couldn’t see or hear anything. She was isolated, completely isolated, without a memory or thought to her name...





Rosie screamed as she woke up. Her heart was beating insanely. Her room was dark, something about the darkness scared her, but she couldn’t remember what. She screamed again, and again, and again.


“Rosie?” Mum came into the room and flicked the light on. Her eyes grew wide as she saw Rosie fitting around in the bed, screaming her lungs out. “Honey, honey,” Mum said frantically, coming over to her and holding her flailing arms down, “calm down.”


Rosie stopped, breathing heavily. She didn’t understand. Why was she so scared? “Mum,” she breathed, flying into her protective arms. “What’s going on?”


“I think you’re having a nightmare, honey.” Mum stroked her soft brown hair, just like she had when she was a young child. Rosie felt herself start to slowly relax.


“I don’t know what happened. I don’t remember any nightmare,” Rosie said, she was more than confused...she felt lost.


“I don’t know, honey.” Mum pushed her back, and smiled sympathetically. “Are you okay now?”


Rosie nodded, feeling silly. “I’m sorry, Mum.”


“It’s okay, go back to sleep, honey. Everything’s okay now.” Mum tucked her back into bed, and gave her a kiss on the cheek before she left. Rosie just lay there, trying to remember. She couldn’t remember anything about her dream, just waking up feeling scared of the dark, and then the screaming. With no luck, she tried to remember the earlier events of the day: She had attended school, then had gone over to Amber’s house, met Amber’s Mum, Lorraine, who had seemed really nice. Then later she had got stomach ache and had to be taken home by Shane. Shane had been nice, he had met her Mum, been such a gentlemen.


That’s all Rosie could remember, nothing un-usual stood out to her. She’d had a good day. So why was she feeling so strange?



© Copyright 2012 Lillyrose (UN: lillyrose94 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lillyrose has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743074