*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743075-A-Father-of-Kings
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#743075 added January 2, 2012 at 9:19am
Restrictions: None
A Father of Kings
A Father of Kings

We had a good New Year’s Day. Linda fixed a turkey and traditional dinner and we invited Mark over. It was a feast. Then we watched some of the games that had playoff implications.

Today is registration and I will be thinking about the class as I am out cutting wood. I have a friend who I am considering as an assistant, who has expressed an interest in putting her foot in the waters. I will have to ask Karen how we put assistants to the test. She is a writer from off site and I think I got her to join WDC. A very talented writer, she is.

Anyway tonight I should know more about the class and some other things.

It is cold outside this morning and will be one of those ice challenges. When I first retired I came home more times than I can recall with my “Ice Beard.” I have no beard now because I have difficulty when they get a certain length with itching. I’m an itcher, a tugger a twister and a puller. Hence I normally keep myself clean shaven or perhaps carry a two or three day shadow.

I talked at some length with my daughters yesterday and they are awesome. My grandsons are growing and are showing signs of “gifts.” One is being recruited by the Naval Academy and is only a sophomore, however has already set some track records in his High School in Kansas. He is showing the running gene that is common in my side of the family. I used to enjoy running distance and so did my Dad. I tried to get into West Point but knew when asked to dribble and throw a basketball that I was in big trouble. Plus academically I was never a particular standout. Like Banqou in Macbeth I am rather ordinary but perhaps made a humble contribution to their makeup.

My older daughter’s husband graduated from West Point and was quite an athlete in his own right. He is going to Afghanistan in March to work on a high level staff. My younger daughter’s Husband looks like a good old boy but is extremely bright and my grandsons on that side are equally talented. I will be using them as character stock in my novels. When I look at what my grandson’s inherited I see the crazy brilliance, the mixture of kindness and darkness that makes me glow with pride and tremble with trepidation all at the same time. They are powerhouses, all five of them, and I can’t help but wonder what life holds in store for them. My daughter’s and their husbands have done a good job raising them and I wish I could have been around more to watch them grow up.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743075-A-Father-of-Kings