*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743076
Rated: ASR · Book · Entertainment · #1721932
My collection of flash fiction entries.
#743076 added December 7, 2017 at 7:18pm
Restrictions: None
Appearances
The bedroom was quiet and dark. I had no idea what had woken me. I listened for a noise, but Al’s soft snoring was the only thing that reached my ears. Huff, huff, huff, hmmmm. Obviously, Al was undisturbed. Through the tiny slits in the blind I could tell dawn was just breaking.

I sniffed the air and recognized the lingering aroma of peppers and onions, last night’s accompaniment to a supper of sweet Italian sausages. A sour burp gurgled up into my throat.. I reached up with both hands and stuffed my pillow farther under my head. Yuck.

Ollie stirred at my movement, stopped purring, and slid up closer into the crook of my knee. His warm fur felt good against my bare skin. He was quiet for a few minutes, then his purring started up again. Soon he would realize it was morning and be begging to go outside.

I thought about getting up and starting some coffee, then snuggled further down under the covers. That’s when the pain hit me, and my brain informed me it was what had woken me in the first place. I heard someone screaming in agony and looked up to see Al leaning over me. The scream sounded familiar. It was me. Suddenly, the bed felt wet. Ollie ran for the hills.

Al scooped me up in the comforter, grabbed his keys, and headed for the door.

“What are you doing? I can’t go out looking like this.”

Al just smiled and gently laid me down on the backseat of our car. I tried not to think of anything as I counted the street lights flying by. Twenty minutes later my doctor presented us with our baby girl. No amount of preparation could have matched the beauty of that moment.


w.c. - 299
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt for 1/2
Write a story that includes the line: "I can't go out looking like this"
© Copyright 2017 Happy Earth Day 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy Earth Day 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743076