*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744754
by Julia
Rated: ASR · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1840361
Set on a college campus. Kate draws the attention of the campus mugger.
#744754 added January 21, 2012 at 11:27pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 15 - Reunited
Chapter 15


Reunited





“We’re through.” A voice crackled over the walkie-talkie.


“Can you see the girl?” Sergeant Yeargin asked.


“Yes, she’s right by the door.”


“Can you see the perp?”


“No, I think he ran off.”


“Everyone stay put, I want an officer to go through that door first.”


He decided it needed to be him.


“Officer Allen, you’re with me.”


He didn’t even wait to see the man follow him. He was in the building and down the stairs in less than a minute. The corridor seemed crowded with the firemen and paramedics. Two firemen held on to Jake Perry and a wide eyed girl stood in the corner trying to stay out everyone’s way.


The door was a piece of twisted metal with a hole between the door jam and door large enough for a man to get through. Yeargin unsnapped the strap that held his gun and pulled the weapon out of the holster. He went down on one knee his gun grasped in two hands pointing toward the gaping hole. He could see the girl lying just on the other side of the door with a metal headboard across her chest. He stepped over the door sill and pointed his gun down the stairs.


He reached down, checked for the girl’s pulse and felt relief as a beat soft as the stroke of a butterfly’s wing nudged his fingertips.


“It’s clear.” Yeargin said over his shoulder.


He stepped over the girl and metal frame and started down the stairs. The corridor dead-ended into another hall after about one hundred feet. He edged up to the corner and quickly looked around with the gun leading the way when he was sure all was clear he went left and sent Officer Allen right. He had only taken about twenty steps when he noticed the scar scraped into the floor of the passageway.


“Allen,” he shouted out.


“Yes, sir,” came the response.


“Come look at this.”


Officer Allen was at his side with in a few seconds.


“What do you make of this?”


“Could be where the girl was dragging the headboard.”


“That’s what I’m thinking. I’m not sure why but I think that’s the way our guy is going.”


They heard noise from the corridor behind them and wheeled around. Two other officers appeared around the corner.


“Sorry we took a wrong turn,” one of the officer’s apologized. This was the team that had gone down through the air grate.


“The girl’s safe but we are with out a perp.” Officer Yeargin said. “We still have a team coming from the neighboring building, I need one of you to stay here and wait for that team and the other to go up top and let them know what we are doing.  Officer Allen and I are going to follow this scrape on the floor. As soon as the other team finds you follow the trail. If it gets messy we may need back up.”


With the trail to follow they turned and set out at a gentle lope.








Kaitlin’s head ached and it was at an odd angle, her forehead back her chin thrust into the air. Her eyes fluttered opened and looked into an ear an inch away from her face. She felt pressure on her wrist.


“Her breathing’s good,” a male voice said.


“Pulse is strong,” a different husky voice added.


As the ear pulled away a face came into focus. Dark short hair curls close to his head, a heavy five o’clock shadow, strong eyebrows and dark brown eyes. A smile showed straight white teeth.


“She’s awake.” He smiled down at her.


“We need some handcuff keys ASAP” A voice to her left shouted.


“How are you feeling?”


“My head hurts.”


“We’re going to get something on that cut on the back of your head in a minute. Does it hurt anyplace else?”


She moved her arms and wiggled her legs.


“I think I’m okay.”


“We’re going to put a neck brace on you and put you on a back board just to make sure. They are going to want to have a look at you in the hospital.”


“Okay, sounds good.” She was tired and her head ached. She closed her eyes.


“Hey stay with us.”





Jake had tried to push his way through the opening as soon as it was wide enough to crawl through. Two firemen held him back. He watched Sergeant Yeargin and Officer Allen go through the hole followed by the paramedics. The space on the stair landing only had room for one paramedic comfortably to work while the other stood on the stairs. They had to work around the headboard. An officer passed his handcuff key through the opening and in a minute he heard a clatter as the headboard was pushed down the stairs out of the way. Next a fireman passed the back board and neck brace through the doorway.


“Clear the corridor we’re coming out.”


Now the firemen literally dragged a protesting Jake down the hall and up the stairs. He could see Kaitlin’s family huddled together behind a police car as the fireman escorted him out of the building.


“Jake.” Michael yelled out.


“They’re bringing her up.” He reassured.


He had seen her unconscious form through the gap in the door and heard the paramedics work on her but he had no idea how badly she was hurt or what that monster had done to her. It should be enough  for him that she was safe now but the adrenaline coursing through his veins demanded some kind of action on his part but the firemen and paramedics had saved her and her family was here to comfort her. No it must be enough to have her safe.


The group turned in unison to look at the paramedics and firemen carrying out the stretcher. A whimper came from the figure strapped to the gurney. Kaitlin’s mother rushed to her side.


“Is she okay? Are you okay?” she asked looking alternately between the paramedics and her daughter.


“She’s a tough little lady; she’s going to be just fine.”


“It’s my head.”


“What’s the matter with her head?”


         “A little cut in the back, it will just need a few stitches.” The paramedic reassured Kaitlin’s mom.


Jake watched as they loaded Kaitlin into the back of the ambulance and Mrs. Moore climbed in next to the paramedic. It was over, Jake’s knees went weak and he sat back on the curb burying his hands in his hair he pulled his head forward; time to breathe, to calm down. Then it dawned on him it wasn’t over they still hadn’t found Mitch. Kaitlin and her family wouldn’t be safe until Mitch was secure behind bars. Jake needed to find out what the police were doing.


“Hey Jake are you okay?” Calvin stood over him.


Jake looked around a circle of expectant faces; Calvin, his roommate, Will with all the research team, Michael, Elizabeth and Sylvia.


“It’s not over yet.” He said to the group as he stood. “They still haven’t found Mitch.”


         “It’s out of our hands.” Michael said.


“Maybe but we’re not helpless. Let’s get organized. Michael you take Elizabeth and Sylvia over to the hospital so you can keep us abreast of Kailtin’s condition. I think we can get one of the police officers to take you.” Jake put his hand on Michael’s arm as he gave directions. “Calvin you and I will see what the police are doing to track him down. Will you take the team back to my apartment and see if you can get anything else on Mitch that might help us find him. Any information and you call me.”


They approached the police as a group. Soon Michael, Sylvia and Elizabeth were on their way to the hospital. Will and the team walked back over to the police station to get their cars. Calvin and Jake hovered around the remaining officers to find out what the game plan was and try to stay out of the way. Right now it seemed the only plan was for Sergeant Yeargin and Officer Allen to follow a scrape on the floor of the corridors made by the headboard.





“It hurts,” tears tracked from the corner of her eyes across her temple and pooled in her ears.


“What hurts, baby?”


“My head.”


“I know, honey.” Her mother cooed.


“Can’t they loosen the strap holding my head, it’s putting pressure on the cut?”


“It won’t be long now we’ll be at the hospital in just a few minutes.” The paramedic answered.


Kaitlin couldn’t relax, couldn’t rest, the pain was sharp and she couldn’t stop shivering. The paramedic draped another blanket across her.


“Mom.”


“I’m here.”


“Dad saved me.”


“What?”


“I was so scared and then I started talking about dad and I felt so calm and I knew I was going to be okay.”


“You’re Dad would be so proud of you, Kaitlin.”


“I know, Mom, I know.”


Soon they were at the hospital, getting admitted, x-rays, a police woman came and took pictures of all the bruises, the doctor examined her and said other than a few  stitches she would be fine there was no sign of concussion or sexual assault. They wanted to keep her over night just for safety’s sake.


By the time they rolled her into her room Michael, Elizabeth and Sylvia were there waiting for her.





“Jake, I got the skinny on our guy, Mitch,” Will said over the phone. “The guy’s had it kind of tough.”


“I don’t know if I’ll ever feel sorry for him after what he’s done to these girls.”


“We knew from our research that he had changed his name.”


“Yeah, what was his name?”


“First name was the same but he changed from Rogers to Roberts. I have a copy of an old newspaper article. He was in the house when his dad beat his mother to death.”


“Oh, man.”


“He went to live with an aunt; it was his dad’s sister.”


“Is she still alive?”


“Yeah, we found an address for her; she’s close, just in the next county.”


“Give me the address and I’ll give it to the police.”


The police of that county were called and a unit dispatched to the aunt’s house.





The scrape ended in front of the double doors. Sergeant Yeargin signaled Allen to take a position on the other side of the doorway, with his back to the wall Allen reached across to turn the door knob while Yeargin stood at the ready to one side so he could get a clear shot at what ever was in the room. It was dark, Allen pulled the door fully open, edged forward and reaching his arm into the gloom felt around on the inside wall for a light switch. A click closely followed by a second and third still the room remained dark. Yeargin knew he was vulnerable out in the lighted hallway he pulled his flashlight off his utility belt and shone it into the inky stillness. A huge piece of machinery filled the area. Now both officers had out their flashlights and were shining them into the corners of the utility space. A mattress leaned against the back corner. Yeargin put his hand out to stop Allen as they entered. He could hear muttering or murmuring. They advanced carefully toward the mattress. A crunch of glass under their feet was the only sound other than the mumbled words. Allen pulled back the mattress and huddled in the corner was Mitch Roberts. Yeargin could hear the words now.


“I’m tiny as a mouse, mama,” he whispered. “So only you can find me.”





Mitch had been completely docile as they traced their way back through the corridors and made their way up through the science building.  He hung his head looking only at his own feet as he walked through the crowd of officers his handcuffed arms swinging in front of him. A warning look from Sergeant Yeargin silenced any remarks the men might have made. The ride back to the station was quiet; Yeargin had turned off the radio, not wanting to hear the banter from the other officers.  Mitch had been a good officer, unobtrusive but dependable. One of the ones who didn’t give any trouble, it pained Yeargin that he had let this young man be part of his department and known so little about him. At the station he put Mitch in an interrogation room and unlocked the handcuffs. Mitch sat at the table his eyes riveted to his clasped hands.


“I meant to kill her.”


“Mitch you need a lawyer.”


“I couldn’t do it.”


”Let me read you your rights.”


“She started talking about her father.”


“You have the right to remain silent anything you say can and will be used against you”


“He was good to her, taught her things.”


“You have the right to an attorney.”


“The way she talked he must have loved her.”


“If you can not afford one, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights?”


“Yes.” He had never lifted his eyes from his hands.


Sergeant Yeargin could hear a commotion out in the hall way.


“Do you want a lawyer, Mitch?”


“No.”


“Let me get a tape recorder and I’ll be right back.”


Sergeant Yeargin stepped through the door. A row of chairs against the wall were filled with Jake Perry and his friends. A woman slightly older than middle age was standing in front of Yeargin’s desk. Her dark brown hair pulled back into a ponytail was streaked with grey. A bulky sweater over a pair of brown slacks hid her figure.


“Is he in there?” She bellowed.


“Allen I want you with the suspect, he’s waved his rights but don’t say anything to him until I get back with a tape recorder.”


Yeargin turned to the woman.


“How can I help you?”


“This is Mitch’s aunt.” One of the other officers volunteered.


“You’ve got him in there.” She started following Allen into the interrogation room.


Sergeant Yeargin reached to grab her arm and she twisted away.


“Allen, grab her.”


She had the door open before either of them could react. Yeargin could see into the interrogation room. Mitch’s hands were no longer clasped in front of him. He had a death grip on the edge of the table his knuckles white. His head tipped forward he glared up at his aunt.


“I knew this is what you would come to.” She cackled. “You are jail bait just like your father. They got me out of bed at four in the morning to drag me down here. What did they think I was going to do, come to the rescue of a slimy piece of crap like you?”


Mitch launched himself across the room and his fist made contact with her right cheek bone with a sickening crack. They fell together to the floor. Pandemonium reigned as Yeargin and Allen tried to pull Mitch off his aunt. Mitch’s hands were wrapped around the fleshy neck of his father’s sister and no matter how she beat against him or the officers pummeled him they could not get him to release. Finally Yeargin pulled out his night stick and brought it full force against the back of Mitch’s head. He crumbled with his unconscious aunt beneath him.


“Somebody call the paramedics, now.” Yeargin ordered. He turned and looked out the window a faint slash of yellow at the horizon was turning the dark sky to a pale blue. This night was finally over.








© Copyright 2012 Julia (UN: estuleen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Julia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744754