*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746455-January-13-short-story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1568380
Hodgepodge of things. Contest entries, short stories, scenes, my newsletters and other ...
#746455 added February 5, 2012 at 4:03pm
Restrictions: None
January 13 short story
Dirty Bomb

Jessica stood leaning against the doorframe, watching Daniel play with a toy garage. Titus walked up and stopped right behind her. She felt his presence and said, "I like how you didn't get him a ton of toys. Just enough to make the room fun for him."

"I bet it'll fill up over time as we go on outings and bring things back."

She turned and looked up to him. "What made you change your mind on him?"

He shrugged his shoulders. He really didn't know for sure why Daniel was now more important to him. Right after his birth and for most of Daniel's first year, Titus did his best to pretend he had no child. Exiling Jessica to Culver City during her pregnancy helped him conceal the fact from his tenants and most friends. Daniel and Jessica were not part of his Venice Beach life. Until now.

Daniel stood up and walked up to Jessica. "When will my other daddy pick us up?"

Titus coughed. He couldn't believe what he just heard. Jessica's face turned dark red.

"Who is that?"

"That's what he calls Alex," Jessica whispered.

Titus turned on his heel and went to his bedroom. He came out with her dress and bra. "Time to get dressed. I'm driving you home."

The drive from Venice Beach to Culver City went by in silence. Jessica stared out of the window on her side of the car. Titus steered his Volvo through traffic with white knuckles on the wheel. Daniel hummed to himself, but didn't say anything either. Titus pulled into the parking lot of Jessica's condo complex and parked the car next to Jessica's. He went around the car and held the door open for her. She stepped out of the car and tried to open the back door to get Daniel.

"He stays with me until he knows who his daddy is."

"You can't take him from me!"

Inwardly, Titus hated himself, but he put a hand on the handle to the back door, pushed out his chest, and challenged her in a low snarl, "Try me."


© Copyright 2012 Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT (UN: annette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746455-January-13-short-story