*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746457-January-15-short-story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1568380
Hodgepodge of things. Contest entries, short stories, scenes, my newsletters and other ...
#746457 added February 5, 2012 at 4:05pm
Restrictions: None
January 15 short story
Steamed, Titus went back inside his house. He was angry at Alex, but he couldn't deny that Alex's accusation had merit. He had only himself to blame for Daniel's perception of his parents. He hit the speed dial for Jessica. As soon as she picked up, he snapped, "Your boyfriend just came here, taunting me. If you think this is going to work, think again!"

"I told him not to go to your house."

"He told me so. Didn't keep him from telling me it was my fault Daniel thinks he's the other daddy." Titus sat down on his couch and said quieter. "And he's right about it. I've got nobody but myself to blame. I'll bring Daniel home to you tomorrow. It'll take as long as it'll take for him to know he only has one father."
Jessica said, "I want to come over there. Did he cry again?"

"No. Daniel was asleep by the time he was in bed. I made him play and run all day long."

"My dad and uncle are on their way to your house."

"To beat me up?"

"To talk to you."

Titus snorted. "As if the officer and tío would make the journey to talk." At that moment, the doorbell rang. "There they are." Titus clicked the phone off and went to the door. He opened it. Jessica's father, a Los Angeles police officer, and her uncle, the pool guy, stood outside. Wordlessly, Titus opened the door wide to let them in. He waved to the table. The three men sat down.

"Titus," tío started, "You and Jessica are both not putting Daniel first."

"You get right to the heart of the matter, huh?"

Mr. Aragon, Jessica's father said, "We've watched your games for the past four years. It's time both of you grow up. Jessica broke up with that silly boyfriend of hers. Time for you to take your wife back into your home. No more of this separate living nonsense. Your son is not being raised properly. You are a disgrace to the family keeping another woman next to your wife. You are going to end this too."

Titus leaned back in his chair. He grinned. "I already have. Two weeks ago. Jessica didn't tell you?"

The two men shared a glance. Tío said, "She didn't. Either way. When do you want the truck and help to move her here?"

"You two aren't playing around."

"We're not." Jessica's father said sharply.

Titus leaned forward and took a minute to look each man sitting across from him a long and deep gaze in the eyes. "Jessica can come home tonight. We'll go pick up her clothes and personal belongings tomorrow in my station wagon. I'll rent the place out as a furnished apartment." He sat back and asked, "Okay with you?"

"Yes," the officer said. He picked up his phone and sent a text.

Less than a minute later, the front door opened and Jessica let herself in. Titus chuckled. He got off his chair and held his arms open for her. She came to him and hugged him back. Her father and uncle stood up. From the door, her father said, "No more games, hija. Mamá and I are tired of this nonsense. You picked him. Now you take him with his faults."

"Sí, papá," she said.

"Sí, papá," Titus echoed.



© Copyright 2012 Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT (UN: annette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746457-January-15-short-story