*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749696-A-place-like-home
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#749696 added March 27, 2012 at 4:44pm
Restrictions: None
A place like home
March 27, 2012, Tuesday, Day 27 ~ 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is "A place from my past that felt like home."


The place that felt most like home was my grandparent’s house. My Grandpa and Grandma Newland lived in the Smelter Heights in Blackwell, Oklahoma. Many people considered it the wrong side of the tracks because it was down wind of the Zink Smelter and on the other side of the railroad tracks.

My Grandfather and my father both worked at the Smelter, as everyone in town called it. We lived in town on West College and it was a bit of a drive to my Grandparents home, but we went to visit and stay with Grandma and Grandpa every weekend.

My Grandfather had a trailer house (mobile home) on Lake Blackwell. On spring and summer weekends, Grandpa would take us to the Lake. We would boat ride, ski, and fish. Every year Grandpa planted potatoes and other vegetables. I always felt at home here as well. The trailer house had a toilet, but the only thing that worked was the bathtub (at least I think it worked, we used it so we had to fill it with water somehow).

The toilet we used when at the Lake was a wooden outhouse. At the time, I was not crazy about going out there because there were spiders and other creepy crawlers. However, now I have fond memories of everything at the Lake and my Grandparents’ house.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749696-A-place-like-home