*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752655
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(183)
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #1802477
Rosie moves to a new town and finds out the world isn't what it seems. Please review! :)
#752655 added May 11, 2012 at 11:14am
Restrictions: None
Key
Rosie stilled as she processed the words. Why does everything always lead back to Lorraine, one way or another? She shook her head and rubbed her forehead in frustration. All she could say was, “This is so screwed up.”


“Tell me about it,” Amber said in a dry, sarcastic tone, and flopped back down on the sofa. Her nonchalant act wasn’t fooling Rosie. She could tell by the way Amber’s eyes looked lost and broken as she stared at the blank television screen. Rosie felt bad for her. It must have been really unstable for Amber growing up, what with the witchcraft, her mother, and the deaths of three of her family members... and there was her friend Louise too. It must have sucked so badly. She couldn’t even begin to imagine the depths of the emotional pain Rosie had only had a taste of so far. At least Amy was alive, and it wasn’t impossible to save her yet. At least Rosie still had that gleam of hope inside her. For Amber... there wasn’t much of that anymore.


“Hey,” Rosie said, and sat down on the sofa beside her. She gave her arm a friendly nudge. “It’s okay. We don’t know anything for sure yet. Not really.”


Amber bit her lip and shook her head slightly. “My mum she just... is always screwing things up and doing stupid things. I just...” Amber paused, and a single tear trailed down her pretty face and dripped into her wavy, black hair. “I don’t know what to do anymore. I wish... I wish there was someone to turn to. Like seriously turn to.” She looked across at Rosie and she was so vulnerable it made her heart ache in sadness. She hated seeing Amber like this. “We’re just kids in a big, crazy world of the supernatural. A world of secrets and discreet.”


“Hey!” Rosie said, worry cracking in her voice. “We have each other. It’s enough! It has to be enough.” She squinted back tears and looked Amber in the eyes. “We can’t give up now.”


Amber looked away.


“Hey!” She said again. “I know it sucks, I really do. Your dad is dead. Your uncle and aunt are, but we have to keep fighting.”


“Fight for what’s right.”


“Yeah,” Rosie said softly. “Make them proud by making the right decision.”


Amber looked at her again. Her eyes were red and serious. “How do you know what they would want me to do?”


Rosie shook her head. “I just do. I know your dad was a great man. I’ve been told that.”


Amber shook as tears fell from her eyes. She pulled her knees up and drew her head to them. “I miss him so much,” she said between sobs. “It’s not fair. Why did he have to die on me? Why does everyone have to die on me?”


Rosie felt awful at the amount of desperation in Amber’s voice. It was one of the most horrible things she’d ever heard. This was a different side to Amber. This one was weak and sad. This was the Amber that was hidden beneath the surface, grieving for all that she’d lost. Confused and scared. For the first time Rosie was seeing that clearly, and it made her feel even more awful inside.


“And now you’re going to die on me, then Shane.” Amber’s breaths were shaky and her whole body was trembling. “Then everyone who I really care about, and who gives a s*** about me will be gone, and I’ll be all alone.”


“No,” Rosie said, panicked. “I’m not going anywhere, neither is Shane. I promise you.” She reached out and grabbed Amber’s hand. Her touch was as cold as a block of ice. “Please don’t give up.”


Amber pulled her hand back and wiped her eyes with the sleeve of her black t-shirt. “I can’t do this right now.”


“We might not have a later to do this! Amber, this is our opportunity to get Amy.”


“I know,” Amber said, staring at the blank television screen. Her eyes were vacant. “It’s too much.”


“Amber...”


“I’m sorry for being selfish, but I guess that’s what I am.”


Rosie shook her head in disbelief. “You’re not making any sense.”


Amber sighed and finally looked at Rosie. “I can’t face what my mum’s probably done right now. I won’t and I can’t. I can’t explain it. I just... can’t.”


Rosie nodded, slow and steady, making sure Amber caught the movement. “You’re right, Amber. You are selfish.” She got up from the sofa and walked over to the doorway, ready to storm out. She stopped as an unforgivable thought struck her. “It’s good to know you’d rather see me and Amy dead, than face what’s right in front of you.” She gave Amber a hard glare. “If we die because we can’t find answers, it’s all on you.”


Rosie didn’t hesitate again before storming to the front door and pulling it open. She raised her foot and... It stuck into thin air. What? She tried to step out further and her body slammed into an invisible barrier as she frantically tried to step all the way out onto the small, wooden porch. Suddenly she was pushed back at a great force by a strong, gripping wind as the door slammed shut in front of her with a hard crash.


She gasped and whirled round, heart racing, to see Amber stood in the doorway, palm upraised and facing in the direction of the front door she’d just been pushed forcefully from. She lowered her arm and looked at Rosie. Amber’s eyes were so sincere and guilt ridden that she had no choice but to look away.


“I’m sorry,” Amber said in a quiet, little girl sounding voice. “I just can’t do this.” She walked over and handed Rosie a thin, rusty, round silver key. “Go with Shane to the vamp house where my mum works. This key unlocks her town records.” Amber turned and started to walk back down the hall.


“Amber, wait.” Her retreating figure stilled, but she didn’t turn around. “Thank you. I know in a way I caused this. If my family hadn’t come here, Charles wouldn’t have either. And there wouldn’t have been more people for you to lose, or more complications. I’m sorry for that.”


Amber just walked off without a word of reply.


Rosie looked down at the rusty key. She sighed and put it in her pocket. I hope it’s worth it. I may have just lost my best friend... Again. Something stopped Rosie from stepping out the door, but this time it wasn’t some magical barrier. It was her. She turned around and headed in the direction Amber had gone. Amber was leaning over the kitchen sink and her shoulders were shaking. Rosie walked up and put her hand on her left shoulder. “I understand.”


Amber looked up, face tear-streaked.


Rosie smiled caringly. “I know we argue a lot, so... Why don’t we just agree to disagree? I don’t want to lose this right here. I don’t want to lose my friend, not again.”


Amber smiled and wiped her eyes. “Me neither,” she said. “We clash, but you’re my best friend.”


“So we’re good then?”


Amber nodded. “Yeah. You go and solve a mystery. I’ll be right here when you’re done. But...”


She cut her off. “Yes, I know. Be careful, Rosie. You always say that.”


Amber shrugged and gave her that mischievous smile of hers. “Oh, I wasn’t going to say that. But yes, be careful. What I was going to say was that I think whatever is going on between you and Shane is sweet.”


Rosie opened her mouth and then closed it, at a loss for words. She shook her head and said, “There is nothing going on between me and Shane.”


Amber raised her eyebrows and shrugged. “Whatever,” she said in that voice that told Rosie she didn’t believe her at all.


“Seriously. He’s Shane.”


“Exactly.” Amber giggled. “But anyway, get lost. And, Rosie, try not to get killed. But then, I’m sure Shane will protect you.” She winked and ran off before Rosie could protest yet again.


There is nothing going on between me and Shane... Is there?


She grunted in frustration and headed out onto the street. It wasn’t a particularly nice afternoon. There were clouds in the sky, but the sun still managed to shine through just a little. Rosie took in the surroundings around her. Lakeside really was small. She could see the limits just a few miles away. She could also see the woods from here. A shiver went down her spine and she forced herself to avert her eyes. I will get Amy soon. I don’t care what either of them say. Amy before Charles. Always.


She pulled her phone out from her jeans pocket and began texting Shane that she was on her way. But due to her lack of coordination she tripped and fell on a crack in the pavement. “Ow,” Rosie said, and pulled up the end of her jeans to survey the damage. Her ankle was slightly swollen. She could already tell it was going to be a bad bruise.


Rosie felt a warm tingle on her neck. She looked down and saw that the amulet was glowing the most beautiful purple she’d ever seen. It was twinkling in the light. Rosie thought it could mean danger was coming, but she didn’t feel alarmed, like she probably should have. She looked around, but there was nothing there.


She decided to ignore it and went to pulling her jeans leg back down, but then she caught a flash of something black and long beside her. She looked slightly up to see feet and legs covered by a long, black cloak. The same cloak Shane had described as the one the witch Amber had spotted wearing. Rosie’s breath caught in fear.


A small cough came from the cloaked figure, and she looked up, heart beating madly in her chest. She had to do a double take when she caught sight of a beautiful young woman with a perfectly round face framed by long, blonde curls and crystal-like violet eyes.


She was shocked to see the black cloak was gone when she looked back down. Replacing it were a pair of fitted black jeans and a stylish grey jumper; on her feet matching boots.


The young woman was looking at Rosie like she was seriously concerned. “Are you okay?” She asked in a honey-American accent that sounded like it had hints of country in it.


Rosie just stared up at her from the ground, too shocked and wary to utter even an okay.


She frowned, which did funny things to her face when she did. She didn’t look like a girl who frowned. She bent down and retrieved Rosie’s abandoned phone. She balanced on her feet, meeting Rosie’s eyes. She held the phone out to her.


Rosie reached out to take the phone from the mysterious woman’s grasp, but she pulled her hand back slightly and flashed Rosie a wide, weirdly warm smile.


“It was nice to finally meet you, Rosie. I hope we’ll be seeing each other again soon.” The woman handed her the phone and walked away without another word.


Rosie could have sworn she saw a black cloak trail behind her as the woman turned the corner.
© Copyright 2012 Lillyrose (UN: lillyrose94 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lillyrose has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752655