*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753691-Great-Books-Ive-Read-This-Year
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #956430
Here I am!
#753691 added May 29, 2012 at 3:49pm
Restrictions: None
Great Books I've Read This Year
This year, I've read more books as an adult than ever I ever have before, thanks in part to the convenience of my six-month-old Kindle Fire. Here's the best of the best that I've read in 2012(so far):

1. The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon : This book is a Japanese classic for a reason. If a book like this was made today, it would be part diary, part Miss Manners column, and part TMZ. While the author comes off as a snobby and pretensious, her poetic insight into the world around her balances it out. While the novel drags in places, and it's obvious that it's been altered from it's original form, it is definitely a good read all around.

2. Dry by Augusten Burroughs : The fictionalized account of the author's struggle with drug addiction, love, and work at a New York ad agency is a darkly comedic waltz played out in some 293 pages. There seems to be an undercurrent of seething honesty, even in the more embellished portions of the book, which is refreshing in a time when memoirs seem to be more concerned in painting the author in the best possible light rather than revealing the subject's true experiences.

3. Black Market Romance by Zola D Wadsworth: This book is pretty out there, I don't advise you read it unless you like sci-fi, since it involves a group of humans and their love of extraterestrial lizards. Nuff said.

4. Introvert Power by Laurie E Helgoe, PHd : This book reveals the strengths and weakness of introverts, with quotes from famous and not so-famous introverts. Her insight was amazing! I was impressed by all the research she pulled from people today, and people from history. This book is a very empowering read for introverts, and for the rare extrovert who wants to understand how introverts think.

5. Griots: A sword and soul anthology edited by Milton J Davis and Charles R Saunders : A few of the short stories aren't very good(namely the first two), but the rest are gold! This book contains African-based fantasy characters, which is a rarity in the fantasy genre. It was a real treat to read. My favorites were "Skin Magic" , "The General's Daughter" , and "The Leopard Walks Alone" , and "The Three-Faced One" .

6. Night's Kiss: Lesbian Erotica by Catherine Lundoff : The title is self-explanatory, lol! This well-crafted anthology of short stories that explore the darker side of love and sex, is evenly well-done all across the board. The most unique story in here is "Planet 10" which was a surprise and a half when I read it, along with an interesting take on Jack The Ripper with "An Incident In Whitechapel".

7. Strangers by De Jay : This is a lesbian romance against the backdrop of a car wash. Complicating matters are rough pasts, inherited children from estranged family members, unresolved relationships, and more. This book is a lot deeper than I expected, and although there are bits and pieces that seem a unrealistic, the characters have layered personailites and issues that are truer to life than the characters in most other books on the market today. This is an excellent book, and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.

As you can see, my reading tastes are very diverse. I'm currently reading Sheryl Lee Ralph's autobiography, along with Affinity by Sarah Waters. Whatever I read after these two, is anyone's guess!

© Copyright 2012 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753691-Great-Books-Ive-Read-This-Year