*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754043
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #964073
Just because someone can't be seen, doesn't mean they're unimportant.
#754043 added June 4, 2012 at 7:30pm
Restrictions: None
Crossroads
"It's time for me to go. All those days on temporary assignment made me see that."

You were excellent. You managed to change a planner's mind about young people like you. I wonder how you managed that? She asks teasingly.

"I'm surprised at how little effort it took really..."

Little effort? She rolls her eyes at me, and they flare black for a moment, as if the fire behind them has suddenly died. Why must you constantly downplay your accomplishments? You worked hard every day you were there. You didn't play games. You learned what you needed to know, and you earned the respect of everyone on that floor of the building. That is an achievement, especially for someone who swore they were never going to enjoy working in an office again.

"That little job during college really messed my head up. I thought I screwed up, when in fact I was given more responsibilty than any one person should have to handle. Things have changed a lot since then. I've proved that."

Have you given any thought to making the 'impossible possible'?

I have to laugh at that. She's quoting me again. "You mean becoming the great and powerful Magician?"

Of course.

I sober my expression immediately. "It's all I can think about. I need to change drastically in order to leave my present situation."

Your 'situation' as you put it, would be considered just fine for this day and age. Good pay, great benefits. Most people would be satisfied.

"I've seen the results of being satisfied. Being unwilling to move up. Mediocre work leading to mediocre results. I can't be happy in this line of work for the rest of my life. I have to move on, get better training and prove it on my resume that I am capable of better than average."

Which means you are going to have to bust your ass for the next three months, if not longer.

I raise an eyebrow at her. "Should you be cursing right now?"

'Shoulds' are for those who revel in opaque limitations.

I nod. "Rightly said. You're right. I have to make some drastic changes in order for me to move."

I would advise you keep this information about your ambitions to yourself as much as possible. The people around you have the distinction of trying to talk you out of doing anything of real importance.

"So I've noticed. Does this mean I can't ask anyone for advice?"

Only ask those with the proper insight. And you know who those people are.

"Yes. I have some idea."

Good. The key to climbing your next mountain is to ignore the distractions that get thrown your way. And you know how things are. The minute you decide you want something essential is the same minute people decide to keep you from it.

"You're right. I'll be getting proof of that for the next two weeks."

Don't be discouraged. Remember the key to any Magician's Strength is that nothing is impossible, merely improbable. Keep that in mind, and you'll be fine.
© Copyright 2012 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754043