*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754547-Lemonade-Rain-Insects-and-Dimes-ID-1871715
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1872712
A nice place to collect my flash fiction entries.
#754547 added June 10, 2012 at 3:07pm
Restrictions: None
Lemonade Rain, Insects, and Dimes (ID #1871715)
“Mommy, I know what I heard! I’m telling the truth! See, no crossed fingers behind my back,” Jamie pleaded as he turned his back to his mother with his little arms outstretched.

Jamie’s mother kneeled in front of her son,“Jamie, I didn’t say you were lying son. I just said that it was highly improbable.”

“But, Mommy!” Poor Jamie looked so deflated.

“Son, that’s enough.”

The four year old scuffed his foot on the floor and turned to leave the room. He headed for his bedroom to get his faithful companion, Monkey. He picked up his stuffed friend by his tail, and dragged him out the front door and plopped down on the steps.

“I know what I heard. I wasn’t telling a fib,” Jamie complained to Monkey. “Bob said it, and Bob doesn’t lie either. He’s my friend. Why won’t Mommy listen?”

Monkey just sat there with the permanent smile on his face, leaning supportively against his friend.

Jamie sighed looking out on the dark cruel world, the world where his own mother didn’t believe him. With his elbows on his knees and his chin in his little hands, Jamie looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.


Bob raced out the door of his house next door, practically flew into his car, shoving and turning the key over revving up the engine. He put the car in gear and started to back out the drive way, when he realized that Jamie was on the front porch. Bob froze; the look on Jamie’s face tore at his heart. He had an assignment to get to, but something was really wrong with his little buddy. The assignment would wait for a few minutes.

Bob turned the key off, got out of the car and walked over to Jamie. “What’s wrong, Bud?”

“Mommy thinks I’m fibbing, but I’m not Bob.” Jamie’s sad eyes tugged at Bob’s heart strings.

“Well, maybe I can help you figure this one out. What exactly did you say to your mom?”

“I told her what I heard on the TV.”

“Really, what did you hear?”

“I heard that the local TV station you work on, WBTV, had a lot of insect problems cause of the lemonade rain, and you were going to see three dimes on the doorstep before it goes into space.”

“Say what?”

“I said, that the TV station has a lot of bugs because of the lemonade rain, and you’re going to go see three dimes on the doorstep before it goes into space.”

“Jamie, I’m confused. Where did you hear that?”

“You said it.” Jamie’s face contorted with frustration.

Bob’s face went blank. His brilliant mind clicked over everything that he and Jamie had ever talked about, but nothing met those specifications.

“When Jamie, I really don’t remember saying that.” Bob sincerely didn’t have a clue about Jamie’s story synopsis.

“Yesterday,” Jamie’s eyes started to fill with tears. Why wouldn’t anyone believe him?

“Oh my goodness, Jamie, I think I know what you heard. I did two stories on the news last night at supper time, right?”

“Yes! That’s when you said it last night during supper.” Jamie’s face started to brighten.

"Ok, Bud. Can I tell you about the stories I had yesterday?”

Jamie nodded enthusiastically. “Uh huh, Monkey wants to hear too.”

Bob picked up Monkey, put him on his lap and started to talk to both friends on the porch. “Our lead story was about the TV station. We had massive internet problems, not insect problems buddy.”


“Oh, OK. But it was caused by the lemonade rain, right?” Jamie nodded hopefully.

“Not exactly lemonade rain. Sue did a story on a type of acid rain called sour rain, and it is really bad for our environment, eventually it could kill off animals and plants. Do you remember that?”

“I must have gone to the bathroom during that part.” Jamie scrunched up his nose. “But Bob, Mommy’s lemonade is really sour. Do you think Mommy’s lemonade will kill me?”

“I don’t’ think so, Buddy.” Bob pulled Jamie over for a brief encouraging embrace. “I knew we could figure this all out, if we just thought about it a little.”

“Bob, where is the doorstep with the three dimes? Why is someone sending dimes into space? Or, Bob, are they sending a doorstep into space? Why do you have to go see it? Can I go with you?”

“Slow down Jamie, I think you’re going to be a reporter and take my place when you grow up. You’re full of questions: that’s what a good reporter has to be, full of questions that need answers.” Bob tussled Jamie’s blonde locks.

“Buddy, you got most of it right- just a little mixed up. There is a space ship going into space. I’ve been assigned to cover the launch of the rocket. The rocket is called the DIMs-3. It’s going way out into space, way beyond Pluto even. I think you heard me saying that we’re standing on the threshold of a new era of exploration. Doorstep, threshold they mean about the same thing. You’re really smart to figure all of that out.”

“Bob, would you do me a favor, please.”

“Sure, anything for you Jamie.”

“Would you tell my Mommy? She doesn’t think I was telling the truth. Could you tell her I just got a little mixed up?”

The front screen door squeaked opened. Mom was standing there with a tray of hot chocolate chip cookies and ice cold lemonade, with a big smile on her face. She winked at Bob. “How about some cookies and lemonade guys; that is, if you think it won’t kill you like sour rain?”
© Copyright 2012 Amay (UN: amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754547-Lemonade-Rain-Insects-and-Dimes-ID-1871715