*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754548-A-Healing-Silence-ID--1801110
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1872712
A nice place to collect my flash fiction entries.
#754548 added June 10, 2012 at 3:10pm
Restrictions: None
A Healing Silence (ID # 1801110)
“Would you stop fidgeting,” an exasperated sigh from a pin filled mouth immediately stopped the fidgeting bride for about thirty seconds. “How do you think I’m going to get this hem straight if you keep moving around like a maggot on a hot rock?”

“Aw, Grandma, I’m trying really I am. It’s just that the wedding is three days away.”

“Listen now girly, if I’d moved like you’re moving when my mom hemmed this dress, she would have smacked me into next week. The sooner you get still, the sooner I’ll be done.”

“Yes ma’am, I’ll try, but Grandma I’m so excited. I’ll be Mrs. Scott Henderson in three days.”

“Yes, dear you will, but you’ll be walking in a crooked dress if you keep swooning like that, be still.”

Mary took a deep breath and focused on the full length mirror in front of her. “Grandma, the hem wasn’t that much too short. We could have left it.”

“Shows what you know child, the lace panels in the front and back shrunk a full quarter of an inch. The sides of the dress were longer. You think I want you walking down that aisle in my mother’s wedding dress all lopsided? She’ll come back and haunt both of us ‘til the day we die. Anyway, I’m almost done.”

“While I’m finishing up, I want to give you some advice my mother gave me. Now you be sure to listen, your mother sure didn’t and you see where it got her, divorced three times and working on number four, tsk, tsk, tsk.” Grandmother slowly shook her head from side to side with each tsk.

Mary couldn’t imagine what advice her grandmother would give her; it was sort of scary knowing how she spoke her mind about any subject. With a sense of dread, Mary bit, “What advice was that, Grandma?”

“Sometimes you just have to shut up, and knowing when is the most important thing. That’s all.”

“What?”

“Honey, think about your momma, she always has to have the last word. She never lets anything just be done and over with. You know she’d argue with a fence post for days. Honestly, I don’t know how any man could live with her,” she chuckled.

“Grandma!” Mary gasped, after all it was her mother she was talking about. After the initial shock, she watched her Grandmother’s face in the mirror, that look spoke volumes, disappointment with a touch of hope.

“Mary, you’re just as hard headed as the rest of us Phillips women, that’s something you can’t change. But if you think first and use that smart mind of yours, you’ll know I’m telling the truth.”

“Your Granddaddy, Lord rest his soul, was a good man. I loved him with all of my heart, but he could irritate fleas off a hound dog.”

Grandma paused, “Mary, shut your mouth before a fly flies in. You know it’s true. He’d come home, dog tired and take it out on everyone. Times were tough; he worried constantly about the finances he was under a terrible stress. I did what I could, but sometimes it just wasn’t enough to ease his mind.”

“He’d go off on any little thing, just to release the tension. I figured it out, mind you it took a while, but listening to my Mother’s advice helped me. So I’m giving you that same advice. You’ll know when you need it. I’m trusting that you’ll heed it. Now get out of that dress so I can finish it up and get it pressed today.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The days passed, the wedding came, followed by a wonderful honeymoon, and then reality of everyday life enveloped the new couple. Scott lost his job, and immediately started searching for something new. Living on Mary’s salary was next to impossible for two people.

As the weeks turned into months, the couple struggled with the bills and the emotional roller coaster of possible jobs that turned into more rejections. Scott’s frustration and depression grew exponentially as time passed. His growing sense of failure as the provider for the family added a layer of constant tension to the newlyweds.

The phone rang, “Hello,” Scott answered.

“Hi Scott, this is Grandma.”

Oh no, what on earth does this loony tune want. “Hi, Mrs. Phillips, Mary isn’t here.” I hope that will get her off the phone.

“Oh, honey, I didn’t call to talk to her. I wanted to talk to you.”

“Really? What’s up?”

“Well, I have a friend that needs some help. I was wondering if you were free?”

“I’m busy hunting for a job.”

“So I hear… NOT. Look, things are tight; this might work into a real opportunity for you. Don’t be stupid. Take a chance and try it out.” Grandma waited for Scott to respond. She was prepared for him, either way. He didn’t know what he was in for now.

“OK, where do I need to go and when?”

“Good, Mr. Mortonson is working on his shop. He has some manual labor that needs to be done, but Scott, he’s old. If you play your cards right, you could help him see that it’s time for him to retire and you take over the everyday business. It will be a win- win situation. Then maybe, he’ll have time to come calling.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Grandma! I’m so excited.”

“My, what child is so exciting? Am I going to be a great- grandma?, Grandma winked at Mr. Mortonson.

“No! Scott found a job. I’m so excited, he’s happy for the first time in ages.”

“Oh honey, I’m so happy for you both.”

“I just had to call someone. I listened Grandma, when he’d rant and rave, I’d just be quiet. I knew it was the stress. I let it go. I did what I could do, and just let the rest go.”

“See Mary, it’s just like I told you. Sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut," another wink," Silence is a great healer.”
© Copyright 2012 Amay (UN: amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754548-A-Healing-Silence-ID--1801110