*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754564-Surprise-out-of-the-Seabag-ID-1725133
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1872712
A nice place to collect my flash fiction entries.
#754564 added June 10, 2012 at 7:02pm
Restrictions: None
Surprise out of the Seabag (ID #1725133)
Surprise Out of the Sea Bag
         
We pulled up into the parking lot. The ship was sitting there at the dock. We’d missed it. The disappointment was palatable in the van. From the youngest to the oldest, everyone wanted to be standing on the dock when the ship entered the harbor. We all were looking forward to the excitement of the Navy Jazz Band playing, the USO volunteers all passing out flags, all of the girlfriends, wives, husbands that hadn’t seen their loved ones for six long months just so excited that they couldn’t stand still.          
Oh well, we missed that part, I thought, but the ship is just starting to be moored, so they haven’t been back too long. While we found a safe parking spot, I had to wonder if my son happened to be responsible for the early arrival. I wouldn’t put it past him. He’s been counting down the days for over three months.          
The van emptied in a flash and it was an extremely slow dash with Grandma to the dock. We walked up to the gate showed our IDs, and headed down the dock toward the bow of the ship. There he was, up at the bridge. I knew in my heart, that stinker made the charts and drove the ship in, that’s why they were so early.          
He waved, I knew it wasn’t to me, but I waved back anyway. I’m sure his eyes were only on his fiancĂ©. How could they not be, he hadn’t seen her in six months. I’m just his mom; soon this bright and extremely happy young lady will be his bride. She’s glowing. I’m beginning to think she’ll just float up to the bridge to be with him.          
He’s walking around and talking to “the guys”, I’m sure he’s telling them to hurry up. I know he’s ready to get home. I can see that from here. There’s the buzzer, an announcement blares, “First Liberty Call”. That was really quick, where was “The First Kiss”, “The Proposal Calls”? I wondered if he has first liberty, or if we’ll have to aboard to help him get his stuff home, like before.          
He disappeared from the bridge. Maria turned around, “Where did he go?”          
I wasn’t sure. We kept watching the sailors and officers that had First Liberty disembark from the ship. The hugs, the cheers, the tears were taking place all around us. Each family impatiently waited for their loved one to wind their way through the crowds. We searched the aft deck to find him. It seemed like forever, but it was actually only minutes before he popped up on the deck with his sea bag in tow. I swear that bag is bigger than he is, I don’t know how he carries it.          
He’s on the gangway, only for a minute. He’s heading toward us. Maria is heading toward him. It doesn’t pay to be short, you know with so many people. You tend lose track of a white cover especially when there are so many of them around.          
I stopped, and waited patiently while they embraced and kissed. It’s amazing to see so much love emoting through every pore. They really do love each other, that’s all that matters, as I stand back to wait, pushing Grandma up front to be the next hug. Then I feel a hand on my back, I was surprised to see my son’s future mother-in-law telling me I’d waited long enough.          
I hugged and kissed my son, on the cheek, nothing like Maria did mind you. I told him what I always tell him on arriving and leaving, and all of my letters to him, “I’ll always love you.” Pretty much says it all. He feels so good in my arms once again, still as skinny as a rail just like both his grandfathers at that age.          His future mother-in-law gives him a big hug. I think she likes him, too. I imagine that’s a really good thing. He shakes his dad’s hand and hugs his brother and future brother-in-law. And it’s another slow dash back to the van. He’s going home!          
I guess he’d been packing for days, now that’s a joke. He probably just threw whatever he wanted into his sea bag the night before, but it is always fun to see what comes piling out of it. He swore before he left absolutely no gifts this trip, saving money for the wedding was the first and only priority. Of course, phone calls to Maria were the highest priority. Anyway nobody was actually expecting gifts from the various ports he visited, but we were all surprised with little treats.          
Little babushka dolls purchased in Russia, a necklace, tee shirts were all passed around for family members. Like Christmas in October, we each oohed and ahhed over each other’s gifts. I really was shocked when he brought things home, it wasn’t expected by anyone.          
I think the thing that surprised me the most, wasn’t anything for us. It was an emergency purchase that he’d had to make in France. Poor thing, his laptop crashed during month three of their deployment, naturally it had all of their wedding lists and address information on it.          
Anyway, he purchased a net book, to use for the rest of the trip. So when he pulled it out. What an eye opener! None of the keys, the a b c keys- you know, were in the right place. I put my fingers on the home keys that I had to learn. I just looked at the screen, then my fingers, then the screen again. I wasn’t sure I even wanted to try to type.          
He encouraged me just to type. So, type I did. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy river. The keys said one thing, but they typed like my normal keyboard. That was pretty slick. Not only can he navigate the seas, he can change keyboard keys. My awesome son, I’m so glad he’s home.
1000 words
© Copyright 2012 Amay (UN: amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754564-Surprise-out-of-the-Seabag-ID-1725133