*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754566-From-Beyond-the-Tempest-ID-1723055
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1872712
A nice place to collect my flash fiction entries.
#754566 added June 10, 2012 at 7:03pm
Restrictions: None
From Beyond the Tempest (ID #1723055)
From Beyond the Tempest
         
As Jane walked down the beach, she was surprised by the eerie calmness. The morning gulls were not hanging around their normal feasting spots. Tiny fishing boats dotted the distant horizon, a stark contrast to the huge cruise ship that was heading out to ports further south. The sea breeze was missing, for that matter there wasn’t a land breeze either. Small ripples came on shore leaving their outline of wetness on the sand. The early morning surfers watched the waves from shore, shaking their heads. Many turned around and left their disappointment obvious in their faces, as well as their body language. The tide was heading back out into the flat horizon. As far as the eye could see, the constant movement of the ocean appeared motionless.          
Her brisk morning walk completed, Jane headed back to her apartment. She prepared to meet her day head on. Meetings, plans to follow through, every minute of her day busily packed to keep her active mind occupied. She didn’t want to think about him. He’d already done enough damage. All Jane wanted was to get through the day with as little pain as possible. Keeping extremely busy provided her with the escape from reality she needed.          
She couldn’t believe, she spent so much time with someone so heartless. Sam never understood what his words did to her. She was finished feeling like it was all her fault. She told him to get out. She thought there would be the normal blow up, the screaming, the ranting, but actually there was nothing. Just those infamous last words, “Fine, I never loved you anyway,” as he stormed out the door.          
Jane imagined Sam was having second thoughts. His daily calls attempting to apologize and make up played havoc on her emotions. She loved him deeply for years, but his abusive words left her filled with insecurities and isolated from her family and friends. She longed to have control of her life again. Kicking him out created a new path for Jane to follow.          
The phone rang again. Angie answered, “Smith and Rollins. How may I direct your call?” Naturally, followed by the brief listening pause, “I’m sorry Sam. She’s not taking your calls anymore. She doesn’t want to talk to you or see you. Why don’t you just leave her alone?” click, she’d hang up everytime.          
Jane smiled at Angie, “Thanks, you do that so well.”          
“Any time, boss.”          
Jane worked diligently all day. Jane was shocked when Angie popped into the door to say goodnight, and the doors were locked. Angie did her nightly, ‘Get out of here and eat something healthy,’ speech before heading home to her own family.          
Jane knew she had to go home. She was tired, but felt good about the progress she made on her accounts. She decided to take her assistant’s advice to have a nice dinner close to the beach. Then she could take an evening walk before heading home to her lonely apartment.          
She walked to the Conch Diner, knowing the loud and touristy venue would be full of people and great food. She sat at a small picnic table meant for two, and chose her drink and dinner. The music blared; the laughter of people filled the air. Facing the main portion of the dining area, Jane could watch people, and get lost in the crowd. She enjoyed her dinner then headed out for the beach.          
At the end of the crossover she saw him. She was sure that it was Sam standing there, waiting. The wind was whipping around him. Sand swirled across the parking lot. His face was dark and ominous. Angry clouds gathered behind him. Lightning flashed out over the ocean. The winds blew its thunderous reply back out to sea. The brewing storm darkened the entire horizon. The waves crashed on the sands behind him.          
She felt powerless, yet magnetically drawn toward him. Her mind churned around the prospects. Why he was here? She mustered her courage to confront him and purposefully walked down the crossover. She slipped off her shoes when she stepped on the wooden planks.          
The wind whipped around her. The sand stung her bare legs. She continued to stare him down. Jane yelled over the wind, “What do you want?”          
“I want you back.”          
“Not happening, Bucko,” Jane place her hand on his chest, pushing him out of her way. She continued down to the hard packed sand. She knew before long the rains would be pelting the beach. She felt his eyes staring, boring into her as she walked away.          
Empowered with the might of the impending storm, she refused to be Sam’s victim any more. She continued walking toward her own place. She could see the sheets of rain creating a curtain of water impeding her view of her complex. Jane reached the next crossover, and headed toward the shelter of the shops along the boardwalk.          
She victoriously won her race with the rain. As she climbed the stairs in Pete’s Shell Shop, she heard the rain pelting the small building. The lightning flashed and thunder rattled the windows. She was safely inside, standing by the windows overlooking the beach below and the fury of the storm. The placid ocean of the morning had been replaced with its evil twin. The violence of the storm amazed her.          
As the lightning flashed, she saw him standing there on the beach staring right at her. Sam stood with the power and fury surrounding him as if he was calling forth all of the anger from within himself. He stood boldly in the wind. The wind whipping his hair around his head, his hands firmly planted on his hips. His eyes glared staring right through her. The towering wave loomed above as its foamy fingers lashed outwards. Jane pressed her fingers against the window; she struggled to see through the blinding rains. Lightning flashed again. He was gone. The thunder shook the entire shop as Jane screamed with the realization. She stood at the window, staring out into the darkness. Lightning flashing, thunder booming, rain pounding incessantly.          
Pete dropped everything when he heard Jane scream. Panic stricken, she told him that Sam was out there. The huge wave that had stood behind him one second, the next second he was gone. Pete dialed 911 with his cell phone. Emergency crews were immediately dispatched to the scene.          
Multicolored lights flashed along the board walk of the small beach community. Coast Guard emergency crews battled the wind whipped waves. Everyone outside in the tempest took their lives into their own hands searching for Sam. As the storm waned the crews worked feverishly trying to find the missing man. Days later, there was still not one trace to be found. It was like he’d never been out there at all.          
For weeks, the nightmare of that evening plagued Jane. She would vividly see Sam, standing on the shore. She could feel his eyes penetrating the depths of her soul, tormenting her just as before. She saw the wave’s icy fingers grabbing him and pulling him into his very own violent and abusive hell. Each time she woke in cold sweats wondering if it was all her fault, blaming herself for his horrible demise.          
Until, one fateful day when the phone rang, “I’m going to get you back.”

word count: 1227
© Copyright 2012 Amay (UN: amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754566-From-Beyond-the-Tempest-ID-1723055