*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755072-June-10-Rails
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1872532
My entries for the 15 for 15 contest
#755072 added June 17, 2012 at 10:10am
Restrictions: None
June 10: Rails
The sunset splashed dim orange light around her as she walked, her hands shoved into her jeans pockets. She'd been walking for quite a while, but her legs still felt as strong as ever. Her sneakers kicked up sprays of dirt and pebbles, dirtying the cuffs of her pants.

Out here, there was nothing. No traffic sounds, no angry buzz of people. No flashing fluorescent lights that always gave her a headache. Nothing but the quiet sounds of animals settling down for the night and the crunch of pine needles under her feet.

And the railroad tracks, of course, but the next train wasn't due for at least another thirty minutes. She had plenty of time to be out here. Keeping the twilight to herself. It was starting to get chilly, but that's why she'd worn the sweatshirt. It had her alma mater emblazoned across the front in orange. She'd graduated last year, with honors. Everyone had been so proud of her, but she'd only faked the smile plastered on her face. It wasn't that great an accomplishment. She could have done so much better.

And now what did she have to show for it? A bitter laugh escaped her throat, jarring the stillness around her. She kept walking. Nothing, that's what. She had nothing. No job, barely even a place to live. Stuck with a relative who hated her, who threatened to kick her out almost daily, no matter what she did. What did her degree matter now?

The ironic thing was, she had majored in psychology. Physician, heal thyself? As if. She sneaked a quick look at her watch. Twenty more minutes. She'd be out here twenty more minutes, and then everything would be okay.

An owl hooted above her head and she jumped, her heart skipping a beat. Then she settled down, laughing shakily. Just an owl. That's all. Not like Jack the Ripper was lurking in the canopy. And would it matter if he was? No. It wouldn't.

The ghosts of the past echoed in her ears. Worthless. Stupid. Good for nothing. Freak. At one time, she would have argued with those sentiments.

She'd run out of the house two hours ago. Her cousin hadn't even noticed. He probably wouldn't notice until tomorrow that she wasn't there anymore. He wasn't the most perceptive of people. And she'd left rather quietly, tiptoeing down the hallway and locking the front door behind her. Pulling the hood of her sweatshirt over her head as she jammed her headphones in her ears. She'd taken them out now, though. There was nothing but silence filling her ears now.

She checked her watch again, pressing the dial to illuminate its face. Only five more minutes. She nodded. It was time.

She turned and began to climb the embankment to the train tracks. It was steep and a little more difficult than she had expected. Her breath came in short spurts until she reached the top. The rails were shrouded in shadow now, as the sun sank below the horizon. Perfect.

In the distance, she heard the train. The rails thrummed. Only a few more minutes now.

She lay down in the middle of the rails, stretched like a stereotypical cartoon lady in distress. Only the ropes of her own will bound her to these tracks, however. She felt the cold metal beneath her cheek, felt the vibrations against her body, as the train rumbled closer.

Light blinded her. She closed her eyes and the world vanished.
© Copyright 2012 ⭐Princette♥PengthuluWrites (UN: morgana at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
⭐Princette♥PengthuluWrites has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755072-June-10-Rails