*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755695
Rated: ASR · Book · Entertainment · #1721932
My collection of flash fiction entries.
#755695 added June 27, 2012 at 10:27pm
Restrictions: None
The Doll
The noise outside drew Casey to the open window. She worked the wheels of her chair back and forth to get the best view of the kids jumping rope below on the sidewalk.

Down in the valley
Where the green grass grows,
There sat Janey
Sweet as a rose.
Along came Johnny
And kissed her on the cheek.
How many kisses
Did she get this week?
1, 2, 3…

Casey leaned forward to rest her arms on the windowsill. She closed her eyes, imagining herself in the middle of the rope, perfect legs in frilly lace top socks and black patent leather Mary Janes, jumping like a ballet dancer, landing on her toes, bouncing up again and again. If only. Sitting back, she knew that would never be her again, not after the car accident that had paralyzed her legs.

She could not help watching and listening to her former playmates and longing to be a part of the fun. Frown lines drew down the corners of her mouth as her concentration on the scene below intensified. All the Barbie dolls in the store would not replace girlfriends, even the beautiful bridal doll sitting on her lap.

Thunder rattled the window frame and black clouds passed over the sun. A dark shadow moved over the kids below as they started grabbing their belongings to head home.

Casey set her Barbie on the sill to watch when a windy gust wrenched her doll from her hands. Barbie toppled end over end coming to rest at the feet of a little girl new to the neighborhood. She reached for the beautiful bride doll, then looked up and saw Casey in the window.

“Is this yours?”

“I… Yes, she fell in the wind.”

“What’s your apartment number? I’ll bring her up.”
© Copyright 2012 Happy 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755695