*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758872-So-many-things-to-blog-about
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #956430
Here I am!
#758872 added August 19, 2012 at 9:24am
Restrictions: None
So many things to blog about...
...so little time.

First off, I'd like to discuss wisdom. I first started thinking about what defines true wisdom when I started writing "Visionary". The assumption is often made that once people reach a certain age, they are automatically wise. This is not the case. There are too many 60-year old crack addicts, lawyers, greedy politicians and people that love all of the above for this sentiment to be true. And even the textbook definition of wisdom is faulty. Take King Solomon in the bible for example. He seemed to be a good judge of human character, a gifted poet, and had a good eye for building. But somehow he forgot the Source of his gifts, and basically started the world's biggest harem. The so-called "wisdom" ascribed to Solomon would be better described as intelligence.

But intelligence is not the same as wisdom, so what makes someone truely wise? In my opinon, it takes foresight, courage, and a self-knowing that is unaffected by one's surroundings, company, and opponents. Here's an example of a man with true wisdom:

John Quincy Adams: The sixth president of the United States was unpopular back in his day for raising taxes. But what did he raise taxes for? The building of roads, canals and a national bank, essential parts that helped lift our nation up towards greatness. Not only that, he infuriated many in the nation by his fairness towards Native Americans, and represented African slaves in the famous Amistad case. He was also responsible for the Smithsonian Institution, and The United States Naval Observatory.

On to topic number two.

I've ended a lot of relationships in the past six months or so, mostly because they weren't working for me. To avoid re-hashing everything, feel free to re-read the blog entry entitled "Spring Cleaning". Thankfully, a few people have appeared out of nowhere to take the place of former friends and associates, so I'm feeling kind of good about that. There's my stepbrother who moved literally next door to me. He's got a good attitude, not to mention a very informed outlook on people places and things. I feel like I'm on equal footing with him, every time we talk, and believe me that's a relieving feeling. At work, there's a woman around my age who reads "The Art Of War". She's not a permanant employee, since she comes and goes on assignment, and we rarely work with each other, but I think she's cool. At this point, I'm glad all those past relationships ended for me earlier. Everyone who's walking into my life now seems to be a lot better for me.

Topic #3:

In Jacksonville, FL a major non-discrimination bill was defeated. Basically, people from the LGBT community can be discriminated against on the job, and can be restricted from renting or buying property in the area. I cannot go into Jacksonville without running into "family". Whether it's at the movie theatre or the mall, or the day spa. It is ridiculous that the Jacksonville LGBT community is not a big deal, because even though they are all over the place, they are not visible unless you're "family" yourself, and your gaydar is working. No movement has ever accomplished it's goals by hiding when the going gets tough. I'm not suggesting that all LGBT paint rainbows on their cars, but a little visibilty would go along way, starting with coming out. You simply cannot be visible during PRIDE, and then go back to the closet and expect things to change. I'm not blaming the LGBT community for the state of affairs, obviously the more conservative-minded people in Jax are to blame for the bill's defeat, but the community's complacency isn't helping things either.

© Copyright 2012 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758872-So-many-things-to-blog-about