*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762271
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1896210
Rough-draft of a high-fantasy novel I will be editing for submission to publishers.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#762271 added October 7, 2012 at 1:00pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Fourteen
Heat. Searing heat. She could feel it before the tips of her fingers even touched the shoulder, and as her palm rested on it the heat coursed upward through her arm as if to envelope her own body. The pain would have been unbearable had she not prepared herself for it, mentally structured a pathway that led the heat to her core where she could set it spinning in on itself. A dislocated shoulder was simple work, but it took great skill to master the art of healing- it left one open and vulnerable. Even the simplest wounds were dangerous to one who could not master themself, and there were few who had the self-control and fortitude to pursue such a profession, even among the elves.

Sayduntalsi had to allow the heat of the pain to enter her in order to create a connection, a pathway for her own power to travel. For a moment she was overwhelmed, as it coursed through her- but she led it to her center where her energies gathered, and as it spun in on itself the heat became almost unbearable. She had to reach deep within herself to find her calm, her strength, and the spinning ball within her began to cool, to send a seeking tendril outward and reverse the flow of the heat. A crystalline, soothing sensation flowed down her arm and through her fingertips to the injured shoulder, and when she felt it relax she jerked it back into place. There was a yelp of shock quickly followed by a sigh of relief, and Sayduntalsi opened her eyes and pulled away, breaking the connection.

“Thank you, Lady,” the youngling muttered in a mix of sincere gratitude and embarrassment.

Sayduntalsi smiled as she stepped past the boy to her cupboards, her silken robe flowing behind her and sparkling in the moonlight that shone through the windows in a beam that encompassed everything in a dazzling glow. She retrieved a vial and held it out to him. “Take this-“

The door burst open, a disheveled guard standing in its wake. “My Lady!” he shouted.

“By Rokhr, Wysternia!” Sayduntalsi replied in shock. “You know better than to interrupt me in the middle of a healing! What if I’d still—“

“My apologies, my Lady,” Wysternia interrupted. “But this cannot wait. He’s here.”

Sayduntalsi’s eyes widened in disbelief, and the young elf who’s shoulder had just been set looked between the two of them in confusion. “Who…”

Sayduntalsi wouldn’t even let the boy finish his question. She placed the vial in his hand and whisked him to the door, speaking quickly- “Take this before you go to bed and rest your shoulder for two days. No heavy lifting. Now off with you.”

“But I-“

The door shut, and the elvin Lady ushered her guard to the table. “Where is he?” she asked. “Does Leonelis know?”

“No my Lady, and I asked him to wait in your quarters,” Wysternia answered her inquiries in reverse order. “He said he is here on a matter most urgent. He insisted on seeing you.”

“What?” Sayduntalsi seemed confused. Her mind was racing with thoughts, memories, questions. She had expected Thradris to visit years ago, if for no other reason than at the very least to explain things to her. She did not believe the rumors and accusations were true, and she deserved to know. But he had never come. Had never explained. As the years passed, she felt she could understand why he never returned and she had let it all fade to memory. But now… he’d returned on an urgent matter? “What matter?”

“He wouldn’t say,” Wysternia answered. “Only that he must speak with you. Hurry.”

“Yes,” Sayd nodded, trying to clear her head. Hurry. Why must they hurry? Because Thradris was waiting in her quarters. “Yes, of course.”

A shadow momentarily overtook the room, and though this frequently happened with the passing clouds it left Sayd with a sense of foreboding. She glanced out her window and there he was. A gasp of surprise escaped her lips before she could bring her hand to her mouth, and Wysternia reacted on impulse, his sword halfway out of its sheath before he saw what had startled his Lady.

“Damn you, night-elf!” Wysternia spat. “I told you to wait!”

“My apologies, my friend,” Thradris replied, his eyes locked with Sayd’s as he searched her pleading expression. “I followed you. If you and Sayd went rushing to her quarters together it would not be very discrete now, would it?”

“And why should we be discrete?” Wysternia demanded. “If I had half a mind, I’d report your presence here to the Elders.”

Thradris smiled, a disarming smile with only his lips. His eyes were too sad. “Wysternia, as Alleana’s only confidante you should know I have only the best intentions.”

Sayduntalsi’s hand had gone to her lips at the sound of that name, and Wysternia’s eyes narrowed. “A lot of good that did Alleana.”

Thradris’ lips turned down in a frown, his own eyes narrowing in a menacing stare, but he did not move forward or make any signs of outward aggression. Instead he simply turned to Sayduntalsi. “I am sorry. This is not the time nor the place to discuss things past. I know an explanation is long overdue and that you must have many questions, but this is most urgent. I believe there is a young druid in the custody of your people?”

“A… a druid? Why… I have not heard anything of this.”

“A scouting party to the south picked him up naught but a day ago,” Thradris explained. “His presence here puts your people in great danger.”

“I don’t understand…” Sayduntalsi started.

“There have been no scouting parties to the south since the new moon, night-elf,” Wysternia replied. “They’ve all gone west. The goblins and orcs in the swamps have been astir and required all our attention. Only the home-guard remains.”

Thradris’ menacing glare turned into one of fire. “Leonelis..” he muttered.

“Thradris,” Sayduntalsi stepped up next to the dark-elf, her pale skin and ebony hair a stark contrast of his own features. She could even feel the pull of polar energies between them- the moonlight seemingly attracted to and absorbed by her, while the shadows were attracted to and absorbed by Thradris. They were both creatures of the night, but he was an elf accustomed to darkness while she was accustomed to light. She sensed this darkness was even evident in his emotions and could feel the pain radiating through him as vivid and hot as the pain of the dislocated shoulder she’d set moments before. She had been able to move forward and find peace in the light, while Thradris had not been able to let go of the past. Their eyes met, and she knew that he knew what she was feeling. She wanted so badly to talk with him, comfort him… heal him. “I never understood… why she loved you. But she would not want you to live your life in pain.”

“I’m sorry, Sayd,” he said softly, and it was as if a wall had suddenly been drawn up between them. She could no longer feel his pain, though it was clearly still there- evident in his sad eyes. He’d locked her out. “There is no time.”

“What is going on, Thradris?” Wysternia asked.

“It’s Zrethxiin,” Thradris replied. “He’s after the druid.”

“What? Why?” Sayduntalsi was lost. “I thought he returned to the Daringleath.”

“Do you remember my sword?”

“That blood-hungry thing? I thought you had it destroyed?”

Thradris shook his head. “That was the plan, yes. But things did not go as planned.”

“I still don’t understand, Thradris. Why would Zrethxiin want the druid?”

“The sword wants the druid,” Thradris explained, though the vagueness of the explanation was less than helpful. He seemed to be the only one who knew what he was talking about, and Sayduntalsi feared that his pain and sadness had driven him to some form of madness. Chancing a glance Wysternia’s direction, she could see that he felt the same. She could sense his desire to go to the Elders, but that he also felt obligated to stay and protect her should Thradris act unpredictably.

Sayduntalsi thought it best to try and calm Thradris, to get him to talk and explain why he’d returned, and she spoke softly, “Thradris, this is all very strange and sudden, and I haven’t a clue what you are going on about. Perhaps if you started from the beginning… We can help you better if we know what it is you need help with.”

“There is no time,” Thradris sounded exasperated. “I am sorry, but we must get the druid away from here. Now.”

Sayduntalsi glanced at Wysternia again, her brow raised in concern and the guard took a cautious step forward. “There is no druid, dark one,” he said. “The home-guard has not brought anyone in.”

“Does Leonelis still lead the home-guard?” Thradris asked, his voice laced with venom.

The sudden stillness was all the answer Thradris needed. The night-elf turned to leave from the same route he’d entered, once again temporarily blotting out the moonlight.

“Thradris, wait!” Sayd dashed forward to grasp the cloth of his cloak over his shoulder before he could leave. Wysternia followed close behind, his sword once again halfway out its sheath in an effort to protect his Lady from their dark visitor, who he clearly did not trust. Thradris did stop but did not look back to either of them. His eyes were ablaze with rage. “Thradris, you go after Leonelis like that, he’ll have you killed. You’re already in bad favor with the Elders. Just tell us what’s going on. It’s not like the Moon Wood is going to fall tonight, over a druid! For Rokhr’s sake. Calm down. Use your head.”

Though the burning in his eyes did not dissipate, Thradris spoke calmly, “You’re sister is dead because of me, Sayd. Because of my foolish pride. I thought I could use that sword, contain its power, its hunger and put it to a better purpose. But it is possessed by something stronger and more powerful than even I could master…” He locked eyes with Sayd, his walls falling for just a moment and she could feel his sadness hit her like a wave. “There is a reason I was once called the Darkwalker. And now it is in his hands, and things are in motion that you cannot imagine.”

“But how can you be sure-“

“Zrethxiin cares nothing for anyone or anything. He seeks only bloodlust and vengeance. I thought I could forget about him, that he would stay in the Daringleath and meet some treacherous end due to his overzealous anger. But the Darkwalker has returned, and with Zrethxiin as its host I fear the worst. The druid is here, and the spirit in that sword will destroy everything in its path to get to him.”

“But Leonelis-“

“Leonelis is a fool,” Thradris spat. “He probably thinks he is protecting you and the Moon Wood.”

“Thradris, don’t act rashly,” Wysternia muttered.

Thradris stiffened and looked over his shoulder, Wysternia’s use of his name not lost on him. It was the first time Sayd’s guard had deigned to acknowledge him as more than just a “night-elf”, and the recognition softened him.

“If Leonelis really has picked up this druid and not brought him to the reformatory, then the Elder’s must not approve of whatever venture he’s taken upon himself,” Wysternia explained. “It  would not surprise me. He’s done such things before. We should go to the Elders. Explain this to them. They will see to it that the druid is released, and you can get him out of here. Do what you need to do to stop this Darkwalker.”

“We don’t have the time for that-“

“Thradris, that is the fastest way this is going to get done,” Sayduntalsi interrupted. “Think how much faster this would have gone if you’d been forthcoming with an explanation from the start? You are letting your emotions blind you into rushing this. Think. What will happen if you go after Leonelis like this? It will only slow things down if you have to fight him. Explain yourself. Get the approval of the Elders, and everything will go smoothly.”

“Fine,” Thradris finally agreed reluctantly. There was a thoughtful pause before he spoke again. “There is.. a Farvel girl and… my son-“

Sayduntalsi and Wysternia both balked in their surprise and almost did not hear the rest of his words.

“Waiting just outside your borders.” Thradris said, not pausing to give them time to recover from their surprise at all, though he visibly flinched. “They will need safe quarters while we take care of this mess.”

“Oh, Thradris, why didn’t you tell me?” Sayduntalsi weeped, “Alleana…”

Thradris only looked down at the ground as Sayd fought to hold back tears, and Wysternia placed a hand on her shoulder. “Of course we will provide them safe quarters,” he said.

Thradris nodded, “They are in the oak, where… where we hid before.”

“I’ll see to it right away,” Wysternia assured him. “Now, my Lady. You and Thradris need to take this to the Elders.”

“Yes,” Sayd dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief, and she and Thradris could not bring themselves to make eye contact. “Yes, of course.”
© Copyright 2012 April Dawn (UN: strigiformes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
April Dawn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762271